Description: Sundial at Centre of Rose Garden Approximately 90 Metres to North East of Clifton House
Date Listed: 19 February 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 335662
OS Grid Reference: SK4356592787
OS Grid Coordinates: 443565, 392787
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4301, -1.3458
SK4392 ROTHERHAM CLIFTON PARK
10/30 Sundial at centre
of rose garden
90 metres to
Sundial. Dated ' R.W. 1739 ',1 resited 1971. Ashlar sandstone. Chamfered
square plinth inscribed ' Sam - Walker / Fecit '; shaft octagonal becoming
cylindrical with moulded capital beneath cuboidal sundial; iron gnomons on
principal faces beneath the inscriptions 'Dum ipectas fugio ' and ' Sic transit
gloria mundi ' and with date; flat, projecting blades on side faces. 2-stage
plinth to ball finial. Samuel Walker was one of the principal iron founders
of Rotherham. Originally situated at Mr. Habershon's house at The Holmes, later
moved to Ferham House before relocation at Clifton House. Illustrated in present
form at original location by John Guest (p486).
J. Guest, ' Historic Notices of Rotherham ', 1879.
Listing NGR: SK4356592787
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.