Description: Remains of the College of Jesus Now Encased Within No 23 College Street and Nos 2,2a,4,6 and 8 Effin
Date Listed: 20 January 1978
English Heritage Building ID: 335666
OS Grid Reference: SK4293292941
OS Grid Coordinates: 442932, 392941
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4315, -1.3553
SK4292 ROTHERHAM COLLEGE STREET
9/34 Remains of the
College of Jesus
now encased within
No 23 College Street
20.1.78 and Nos 2,2A, 4, 6 and
8 Effingham Street
(formerly listed as
No 4 (The Old College
Inn) and No 6)
Walls of part of the College of Jesus. Founded 1482 by Archbishop Thomas
Rotherham; repeatedly altered before being incoporated into present structure
dated 1930 and by Flockton of Sheffield; re-exposed during internal remodelling
in 1984 but now encased. Three 2-storey walls enclose the rectangle occupied by
No 23, College Street, roadside wall of 1930. Premises fronting Effingham Street
occupy a wedge-shaped addition with their rear walls formed by the C15 fabric.
3rd storey of later date covers C15 site. Present roadside elevations not of
special interest. No C15 fabric exposed at time of resurvey. 1984 survey notes
made by the County Archaeology Service show that the three walls retain large
areas of original brickwork with numerous door openings with brick arches and
moulded window openings. Although once regarded as lost (Wight) the survey
demonstrated the extent of survival of this important structure.
In 1474 Thomas Rotherham, a noted builder in brick, had shared the Chancellorship
of England with Alcock who in 1496 built Jesus College, Cambridge perhaps inspired
by the College of Jesus at Rotherham. Described by Leland as'sumptuously builded
of brik', the college fell under the suppression of chantries in 1547-48 and was
in decay by 1591. The building survived as a mansion before becoming an inn, the
associated buildings being finally destroyed when Effingham Street was laid out
Although a fragmentary survival, the walls of the College of Jesus are the earliest
surviving brick structure in South Yorkshire and formed part of a fundamental
element in the development of Rotherham. C17 doorway from college buildings now
re-erected in Boston Park (q.v.).
Notes and photographs in County Ancient Monuments and Sites Record, Sheffield,
primary index No 189.
J. A. Wight, Brick Building in England from the Middle Ages to 1550, 1972, pp136-153.
Listing NGR: SK4293292941
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.