Description: Monks Smithy House
Date Listed: 23 November 1973
English Heritage Building ID: 335709
OS Grid Reference: SK3824695025
OS Grid Coordinates: 438246, 395025
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4506, -1.4256
SK39NE ROTHERHAM UPPER WORTLEY ROAD
1/73 Thorpe Common
Monks' Smithy House
23.11.73 (formerly listed as
Farmhouse with attached farmbuildings also known as Kirkstead Abbey Grange;
undergoing renovation and subdivision at time of resurvey. Probably C16 or
C17 reusing a variety of medieval material, reconstructed and renamed in 1900
for the Earl of Effingham. Gritstone and sandstone rubble walling, stone slate
roof. Elongated 2-storey range with house on left having 4 windows to 1st floor,
farmbuildings to right with 2 lower additions to right-hand end. House: large
quoins. C20 casements. Central doorway has chamfered, C12-style round arch.
To left of door: 2 windows to each floor, 3 of them in chamfered, quoined surrounds
(ground-floor window nearest door may be of C15 date); water spout at eaves
between windows. Total of 5 windows to right of door all alterations of 1900,
those to far right in position of former lateral stack. Another round-arched
doorway at centre of range is flanked by small trefoil-headed lights, that to
left resited in 1900; plaque above door has Effingham crown above words
'KIRKSTEAD / ABBEY GRANGE / RESTORED 1900'. Farmbuildings to right now have
external stone steps. Various openings include an early doorway (now window)
with chamfered, quoined surround and, to its right, a small round-headed window
(possibly C12). Loft door has, to its right, a boarded hatch with early peg-
jointed frame and, to its left, a small wood-framed opening now housing casement
but with mortices for wood mullions. Additions to right end: front walls being
rebuilt at time of resurvey. Main range has wallstone end stack to left and
ridge stack to right of main door, truncated brick end stacks to right and at
junction of two additions.
Rear: 2 small trefoil-headed lights, one of them reset without jambs. 4 small
round-arched openings (unlikely to be medieval). Chamfered rectangular slit,
possibly that removed from position of present loft steps in 1900.
Interior: floor structure of house partly exposed at time of resurvey; chamfered
beams and heavy-scantling joists in central room. Moulded tie-beam in
lst-floor room to left; moulded ashlar fireplace in same room possibly resited
from original lateral stack. Interesting 9-bay, king-post roof structure with
additional truss at junction of bays 6 and 7. 3 curved braces to ridge above
house and evidence of truss infill, some members chamfered. 1 principal-rafter
truss has soffit-morticed tie beam for wallposts and braces, saddle apex. 3 end
bays of hay loft have simpler king-post roof of separate construction but with
one truss having moulded, cambered tie beam with post and brace mortices at one
end only, broach-stopped chamfer to king post (an open truss perhaps re-used
from a framed cross-wing).
Long regarded as having been erected by Cistercian monks of Kirkstead Abbey
(Lincolnshire) following a charter of 1161-6 allowing them to build houses and
4 iron-working forges in this locality. Now interpreted as having a more complicated
history but possibly retaining elements of the original structure as well as late-
and post-medieval material.
T. W. Hall, A Descriptive Catalogue of Sheffield Manorial Records, 1928, pp229-232
(contains 2 valuable photographs of pre-1900 fabric).
P. F. Ryder, extensive survey report in County Ancient Monuments and Sites Record,
Sheffield primary index No 163, 1984.
Listing NGR: SK3824695025
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.