Description: Harthill Schoolhouse
Date Listed: 29 July 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 335784
OS Grid Reference: SK4940580945
OS Grid Coordinates: 449405, 380945
Latitude/Longitude: 53.3231, -1.2597
HARTHILL WITH WOODALL UNION STREET
(east side, off)
29.7.66 (formerly listed as
Church schoolhouse. Rebuilt 1721 for the 2nd Rev. John Hewitt (Garbett, p129),
later alterations and additions. Ashlar sandstone, Welsh slate roof. Single
storey, 1 : 1 : 1 bays, taller central bay breaks forward. Plinth: projecting
quoins. Blocked central doorway has unequally-hung 20-pane sash in raised
ashlar surround with moulded arrises, slight cornice with rusticated panel over.
Renewed casements flanking doorway have tall ashlar surrounds with projecting
sills; outer bays have cross windows in similar surrounds. Central pediment has
kneelers linked by band, architraved oculus and gable copings. Hipped roof with
stone ridges. Rear: lean-to beneath central gable without oculus. Right return:
doorway with ashlar surround and slight cornice, shuttered casement to its left.
C20 lean-to addition on left return not of special interest. Garbett notes that
the foundation stone was laid on 7th June 1721 and includes some building accounts
from parish records. Situated in corner of churchyard to Church of All Hallows (q.v.).
H. Garbett, The History of Harthill-with-woodall, 1950.
Listing NGR: SK4940480946
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.