Description: High Trees
Date Listed: 29 March 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 335880
OS Grid Reference: SK4676785270
OS Grid Coordinates: 446767, 385270
Latitude/Longitude: 53.3622, -1.2987
ASTON-CUM-AUGHTON CHURCH LANE
6/6 High Trees
Rectory, unoccupied at time of resurvey. Part of older rectory-used as
service wing to new house of c1771 by John Carr for Rev. William Mason.
Stuccoed red brick, Westmorland and Welsh slate roofs. 2 storeys, 3 x 2 bay
house of 1771 with 2 x 2 bay service wing set back on left having lower
addition to rear-left corner. Main house: plinth. Central C19 porch with
double doors flanked by corner pilasters with acanthus capitals, frieze with
panels and keystone, modillioned cornice with blocking course. Boarded,
ground-floor windows linked by sill band, bay 1 window has rubbed-brick flat
arch visible beneath stucco. 1st floor: unequally-hung 9-pane sashes with
projecting sills and architraves set in reveals. Modillioned eaves cornice;
hipped roof with brick end stacks. Service wing on left: door flanked by
boarded sashes with glazing bars; 9-pane sashes to 1st floor. Modillioned
eaves with front stack on left of bay 2; hipped roof with ridge stack. Lower
addition set back on left has boarded window to ground floor and transomed
casement above, hipped lean-to roof.
Interior: not inspected, previous list description notes chimneypieces and
William Mason was rector of the parish, poet, musician, painter, playwright,
garden designer and friend of Horace Walpole and Thomas Gray whose biography
he wrote. Other works included The English Garden and his Heroic Epistle, an
attack on the architecture of Sir William Chambers.
Listing NGR: SK4660484938
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.