Description: Chapel House
Date Listed: 11 June 1975
English Heritage Building ID: 335886
OS Grid Reference: SK4546986615
OS Grid Coordinates: 445469, 386615
Latitude/Longitude: 53.3744, -1.3180
ASTON-CUM-AUGHTON MAIN STREET
No 97 (Chapel House)
(formerly listed as
Old Methodist Chapel)
Methodist Chapel now house. Dated 1843, later porch and wing added c1900.
Horizontally-tooled, coursed sandstone; Welsh slate roof. 1 storey, 3 bays
with 2-storey wing to rear right. Central, double, panelled door and
fanlight with radial glazing bars enclosed within later C19 ashlar porch
having pilastered and open-pedimented surround to cavetto-moulded and
rusticated round-arched opening with large keystone. Flanking windows have
renewed casements in tall, square-faced surrounds with projecting sills.
Plaque aver porch with some inscription chiselled off but retaining words:
'ERECTED JULY / 1843'. Shaped kneelers and ashlar gable copings. Left
return: wing in brick, save bricks with commemorative initials. Right
return: wing faced in stone. Interior not of special interest.
Listing NGR: SK4546986615
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.