Description: Wibsey United Reform Church and Memorial School
Date Listed: 9 August 1983
Date Delisted: 16 September 1997
English Heritage Building ID: 336254
OS Grid Reference: SE1521030202
OS Grid Coordinates: 415210, 430202
Latitude/Longitude: 53.7679, -1.7707
The following building was de-listed on 16th September 1997.
5111 CHAPEL STREET
Wibsey United Reform Church and
SE 1530 59/362
Circa 1840-5O. The chapel and attendant school are sited at right angles to the
street with fronts facing east, The chapel is a tall 2-storey and basement plain
rectangular building. Sandstone "brick" sides and broad gabled ashlar east front with raised quoins. The front has 4 windows at first floor level and 2 to centre of ground floor, marginal glazing; flanking doorways in architrave surrounds with cornices on fluted consoles. Interior, with gallery on cast iron columns,
refurbished circa 1862. The school adjoins on the south side, an addition of 1862 with Italianate details. Two-storey part nearest to chapel. Sandstone "bricks"
with ashlar dressings. Off centre pedimented break with group of 3 archivolt
arched window. Recessed flanking bays plastered with large fluted console brackets supporting cornices surmounted by block pediments. Six-storey classroom range has doubled pediment containing carved wreath with putti and date 1862.
Listing NGR: SE1521030202
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.