Description: Church of St Paul and St Jude
Date Listed: 9 August 1983
English Heritage Building ID: 336281
OS Grid Reference: SE1509334530
OS Grid Coordinates: 415093, 434530
Latitude/Longitude: 53.8069, -1.7723
5111 CHURCH STREET
Church of St Paul and St Jude
SE 1534 NW 28/380
1847-48, architects Mallinson and Healy. A large church of uniform plan with
crossing tower. Early English detail. Similar to the partnerships contemporary
Church of St Mary at Wyke. Nave and transepts of equal height. The south aisle
is cross gabled. Triple group of lancets and rose window above west door. East end
has grouped lancets. South porch with stiff leaf capitals. Some plate tracery.
Tall crossing tower with shallow stepped clasping buttresses, 2 light shafted bell
stage openings. Swept breach to tall, graceful octagonal spire with thin light
lucarnes. The tower and spire are prominent features of the Manningham hillside
and the church effectively closes the vista up St Paul's Road and commands the
junction of Church Street and Skinner Lane.
Listing NGR: SE1509334530
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.