Description: Wibsey Wesleyan Reform Church
Date Listed: 9 August 1983
Date Delisted: 16 September 1997
English Heritage Building ID: 336600
OS Grid Reference: SE1526230061
OS Grid Coordinates: 415262, 430061
Latitude/Longitude: 53.7667, -1.7699
The following building was de-listed on 16th September 1997.
5111 HIGH STREET
Wibsey Wesleyan Reform Church
SE 1530 59/605
1838 built as Wesleyan Chapel, became the Reform Chapel in 1853. Two-storey
sandstone "brick" chapel, on a rectangular plan with hipped stone slate roof;
modillion brackets to stone gutter eaves cornice. Entrance front at east end of
4 bays, or round headed windows with stained marginal glazing. Broad doorways,
flanking ground floor: double panelled door with rectangular fanlights, framing
pilasters with large inverted consoles suporting cornice and blocking course above.
Single bay shallow breaks containing staircases to galleries. The side elevations
have round headed windows on both floors, sashes with glazing bars radiused to heads.
The north side has rendered buttresses added for support. Interior altered 1860
and 1869. Staircases have cast iron open work baluster with Anthemion pattern.
The Chapel stands back from road in small churchyard.
Listing NGR: SE1526230061
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.