Description: The National Westminster Bank
Date Listed: 9 August 1983
English Heritage Building ID: 336668
OS Grid Reference: SE1637533155
OS Grid Coordinates: 416375, 433155
Latitude/Longitude: 53.7945, -1.7529
5111 HUSTLERGATE BD1
SE 1633 SW 36/685 (The National Westminster Bank)
Includes No 24 Bank Street and Nos 8 and 10 Piece Hall Yard. Important corner site
with fronts to Bank Street and Piece Hall Yard. Built as the Bradford Commercial
Bank and completed to the designs of Andrews and Pepper in 1868. Elaborate Gothic
with mid C13 detail, complementing the Wool Exchange. Two-storeys and attics,
millstone grit ashlar with sandstone and polished granite dressings. The corner is
emphasised by a square 3-storey tower with a pierced, pinnacled, parapet and
surmounted by a steep truncated slate roof with large lucarne dormers and wrought
iron cresting. The windows and doors have pink or grey granite shaft colonettes,
the foliate capital mouldings continued as impost bands. Drip moulds on head stops.
The first floor windows are of 2-lights with quatrefoils piercing the tympani.
The first floor windows on the corner tower have applied crocketed gables and give
onto pierced stone balconies. Above the first floor is a corbelled pierced stone
parapet with sharply gabled dormers set behind. The banking hall has a corbelled
vaulted ceiling divided into panels decorated with Coats of Arms.
Listing NGR: SE1637533155
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.