Description: Rawson Hotel
Date Listed: 9 August 1983
English Heritage Building ID: 336679
OS Grid Reference: SE1614733337
OS Grid Coordinates: 416147, 433337
Latitude/Longitude: 53.7961, -1.7563
5111 JOHN STREET BD1
SE 1633 SW 36/690
1899, the surviving corner block of the old Rawson Market, started in 1871 by
Lockwood and Mawson and extended in 1899 by Hope and Jondine, architects of the
Technical College. Quadrant corner with Rawson Place. Gaisby Rock ashlar
elevations, one bay to Rawson Place, 3 to John Street. The corner is emphasised
by a 5-storey circular tower, the top stage consisting of a drum with 4 pairs
of Corinthian columns, the entablatures surmounted by urns and a finely balanced
masonry dome above with a cupola lantern. The tall 3-storey and attic flanking
elevations have giant Corinthian columns with block banding to base of shafts.
Shallow canted bay windows on first floor and large lunette window above segmental
portal entrance. Pedimented dormers in parapet with urns in line with columns below.
The windows are stone mullioned. Important corner site, listed in particular for
the contribution made by the tower to the townscape.
Listing NGR: SE1614733337
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.