Description: Bradford Tradesmens Homes and Chapel
Date Listed: 1 September 1977
English Heritage Building ID: 336726
OS Grid Reference: SE1468434452
OS Grid Coordinates: 414684, 434452
Latitude/Longitude: 53.8062, -1.7785
5111 LILY CROFT
Heaton Road (off)
Bradford Tradesmens Homes (Nos 1 to
43 (consec) and Chapel)
(formerly listed under Heaton Road)
SE 1434 NE 27/722
SE 1434 SE 30/722 1.9.77
A cul-de-sac off Heaton Road. 1867 and 1878 almshouses ranged around 4 sides of
a rectangular green. Three almshouses were subscribed to Sir Titus Salt, S C Lister,
Isaac Holden amongst the principal Bradford area mill owners and industrialists.
Foundation stone of north range and return wings laid by Sir T Salt in 1867. Single
storey and attic, sandstone "brick" with ashlar dressings. Designed in a simplified
High Victorian Gothic by the Milnes and France partnership. Steeply pitched Welsh
slate roof with decorative ridge tiles. Large ashlar chimney stacks on ridge.
Overhanging eaves on wood brackets. One window front with hipped gables to half
dormers. Shaped stepped heads to windows. Chamfered pointed arch doorways with
fanlights. In the centre of the north range is a small chapel with a projecting
canted front and crowning clock turret. Shafted doorway with lunette and wing from
arch a 2 light colonetted window contained in gable. The 2 stone lamas flanking the
entrance come from Sir T Salt's home. The chapel windows have reset German stained
glass. The north range is linked to wing ranges by pointed arch gateways. The
south range of almshouses was added in 1878. Similar detail but with central and
end houses breaking forward with gabled fronts containing canted bay windows with
paired first floor windows surmounted by blind pointed lunettes with quatrefoils.
The central gable has a tiled inscription with the date 1878.
Listing NGR: SE1468434452
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.