Description: Kipping Barn
Date Listed: 26 April 1974
English Heritage Building ID: 336790
OS Grid Reference: SE0982632661
OS Grid Coordinates: 409826, 432661
Latitude/Longitude: 53.7902, -1.8523
5111 LOWER KIPPING LANE
(formerly listed under Lower Kipping)
SE 0932 38/153 26.4.74
Early to mid C17 large coursed gritstone barn with stone slate roof. Two storey
gable end to road with central squared jamb entrance (up steps) and small squared
surround window openings flanking and set above. Ventilation slits just above
ground level. On the east side, facing a stone paved yard, is a central full
height portal, 4 window range and small pentice at north end. The interior is
aisled, later partitions but 3 posts exposed. Shallow King post roof trusses.
The barn was used as a non-conformist meeting plan for the Thornton Independents
in the latter part of the C17 and a license was granted to John Hall, who owned
the barn and Kipping House, in 1678.
Listing NGR: SE0982632661
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.