Description: The Old Manor House
Date Listed: 4 September 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 336802
OS Grid Reference: SE1523525988
OS Grid Coordinates: 415235, 425988
Latitude/Longitude: 53.7301, -1.7705
5111 LOWER WYKE LANE
The Old Manor House
SE 1526 66/120 4.9.52
SE 1525 68/120
Fine West Riding Hall, of a type more akin to the Halifax manor houses. The house
was built by the Empsall family, yeomen of Wyke for over three centuries. The
oldest part to the rear has the centre portion dated 1614 and was erected by
E Empsall. In 1694 the house was virtually doubled in size, towards the road,
by J A Empsall. Two storeys, irregular L plan, large coursed blocks of gritstone.
Stone slate roofs with saddlestones to gables, large kneelers to 1614 part;
decorated finials to gables of 1694 addition. Chamfered mullion windows in deep
splayed reveals with drip moulds over, 3, 5 and 6 and 7 lights to 1694 part.
Double gables to south front. Two light stair window retains original leaded
glazing and a round headed window dated 1687. Four centred arch doorway. Blocked
oval window above eastern doorway. External chimney stack with offsets to west
end. C17/C18 large corniced chimneys, one with round headed panels to shaft.
Interior retains exposed chamfered ceiling beads and joists. Oak stud partitions
to north side rooms on ground floor. Massive arched fireplace next to 1687 window.
On the first floor some stud partitioning still in situ. Massive collar truss roof
partly boxed in. In the early part of this century some careful restoration work
was carried out particularly to the eastern part of the house. (Ambler: "Old Halls
and Manor Houses of Yorkshire").
Listing NGR: SE1523525988
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.