Description: Yorkshire County Savings Bank
Date Listed: 9 August 1983
English Heritage Building ID: 336854
OS Grid Reference: SE1617933511
OS Grid Coordinates: 416179, 433511
Latitude/Longitude: 53.7977, -1.7558
5111 MANOR ROW BD1
(Yorkshire County Savings Bank)
SE 1633 35/825
Circa 1840, probably contemporary with No 28. Apparently built as a pair of town
houses. Two storey, rectangular plan with symmetrical facade. Sandstone ashlar.
Some Greek Revival detailing. Six bays with centre pair breaking forward slightly.
Plinth, first floor sill band, deep frieze, cornice and blocking course. The centre
break has 3 pairs of Doric pilasters articulating the first floor and parapet over
cornice with panelled dies, the outer ones surmounted by corniced ashlar chimney
stacks. Incised panels above window heads. No glazing bars to revealed sash
windows. Those in flanking bays on first floor have slightly battered eared architrave
surrounds with panelled aprons. The centre break has a window to right and doorway
to left in similar surrounds: broad architrave frames, bolection friezes and
dentilled cornices. Three bay north and south fronts with similar detailing.
Doric pilastered porches with disc friezes, cornices and blocking courses. The
south elevation has tripartite pilastered windows to left hand of ground floor.
Unusual survival of domestic architecture of this period in central Bradford.
Listing NGR: SE1617933511
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.