Description: Kipping Independent Chapel
Date Listed: 9 August 1983
English Heritage Building ID: 336877
OS Grid Reference: SE1012132724
OS Grid Coordinates: 410121, 432724
Latitude/Longitude: 53.7907, -1.8478
5111 MARKET STREET
Kipping Independent Chapel
SE 1032 39/844
1843 rebuilding of C18 chapel which replaced the original meeting house in the Barn,
Lower Kipping Lane qv, chartered by Charles II in 1672. The chapel, on a rectangular
plan, presents a 2 storey front of dressed sandstone "brick" with ashlar dressings.
Simplified Greek Revival details. Three bays, the centre breaking forward slightly.
Broad quoin pilasters, plinth, plat band, bed mould to frieze and projecting cornice
broken over quoin pilasters. Hipped slate roof. Outer first floor windows have
battered eared architrave surrounds. The central window tripartite with pilasters
and entablature. Dated plaque set below. Ground floor has 2 light pilastered
windows with entablatures and large central porch of shallow projection. Doric
pilasters with rosettes to necking , deep frieze cornice and blocking course. Large
double doors with horizontal moulded panels. Plain 2 storey side elevations.
Galleried interior, the furnishings partly later C19.
Listing NGR: SE1012132724
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.