Church of All Saints, Northfleet
Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 30 July 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 356884
OS Grid Reference: TQ6355273114
OS Grid Coordinates: 563552, 173114
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4334, 0.3515
Location: Perry Street, Gravesend, Kent DA11 8QU
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
TQ 67 SW NORTHFLEET PERRY STREET
8/134 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
Parish Church. 1869-70 by James Brooks in Gothic style, builder Thomas Blake of
Stone Street, Gravesend, Kent. Built of squared Kentish ragstone with Bath stone
dressings & tiled roof. Nave with bellcote to east and north and south aisles, lower
chancel with aisles continuing from nave to form 2 vestries on north side and an
organ chamber on the south side. North porch, the west bay of the north aisle
serving as vestibule to entrance from the north porch. Nave: gable ended with stone
coping and cross shaped saddlestone to west and with double arched gabled stone
bellcote to east with cross-shaped iron finial. Clerestory has 3 windows; double
round-headed arches with circular window above. 4 round-arched windows to aisle
and plinth. Chancel: separated from nave by buttress. Clerestory has 3 round-
headed arches and there is a chimney with a circular stone chimney-pot. Vestries
have 3 rounded-arched windows and pointed arched door surround with cross motif in
the tympanum and underneath a Caernarvon arched door with zigzag moulding, paterae
and Celtic type iron arch to plank door. North porch has pointed arched doorcase
with 5 stone steps. The inner arch has dogtooth moulding and stiff-leaf capitals.
South door has pointed head with dripmould and oak plank door with iron scroll work.
Interior has 4½ bay nave with pointed arches, columns with stiff-leaf capitals based
on the capitals at Rodmell or St Annes, Lewes;and end narrower trefoliated arched
doorway leading to north porch and south door. Trussed rafter roof of waggon form
in pine. West window has 2 tall pointed lancets with large plate traceried rose
window above. Octagonal font of Ashburton marble on alabaster and marble base with
8 columns and oak and iron cover. Pulpit is semi-circular in Gothic style with Caen
stone, alabaster and marble. Brass eagle lectern of 1870-77. Floor of centre aisle
of nave tiled. Pews are pine with pierced ends. Stained glass windows to aisles with
scenes from the Gospels. Chancel has large pointed chancel arch with later rood.
3 round-headed arched windows to clerestory . Large painted arch on stiff-leaf
corbels to vestry and organ loft. East window geometrical, a large triple
trefoliated lancet with 3 roundels above. Stained glass showing Christ in Majesty
with angels above and saints and prophets below. Arched braced collar trussed roof.
Credence niche with grey marble shelf to south wall of chancel. Chancel and
sanctuary are floored with Maw's encaustic tiles. Pine chair stalls with pierced
fronts and ends. Pine organ case and painted pipes.
(See 'Building News' July 1874; Newman. Buildings of England. West Kent and the
Weald rev. 1976 pp 438)
Listing NGR: TQ6365173198
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.