If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Church of St Mary and St Hardulph, Breedon on the Hill

Description: Church of St Mary and St Hardulph

Grade: I
Date Listed: 7 December 1962
English Heritage Building ID: 358064

OS Grid Reference: SK4057723348
OS Grid Coordinates: 440577, 323348
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8062, -1.3995

Location: Main Street, Breedon on the Hill, Leicestershire DE73 8HF

Locality: Breedon on the Hill
Local Authority: North West Leicestershire District Council
County: Leicestershire
Country: England
Postcode: DE73 8HF

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


There is also a scheduled monument, The Bulwarks (earthworks), at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.

Explore more of the area around Breedon on the Hill, Leicestershire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

BREEDON-ON-THE-HILL BREEDON HILL
SK 42 SW
4/17 Church of St Mary and
St Hardulph
7.12.62
GV I

Parish church, formerly the church of an Augustinian Priory founded early C12.
Incorporates carved masonry of C9 date from monastic foundation formerly on
site. Parts of west tower are early C12, raised C14-C15. C13 aisled chancel is
now used as nave, and has C14 fenestration to north and south, and C15 clere-
story. South porch incorporates some remains of C13 transept but has been much
altered. Church much repaired 1784 by Joseph Wyatt, and again in 1900 when
interior was stripped of plaster and east windows of chancel were renewed.
Ashlar with lead roofs. West tower is of 3 stages with battlemented parapet,
carved gargoyles and slender clasping buttresses. C14-C15 2-light traceried
openings to bell-chamber, with transoms; small C15 2-light traceried windows
with flat heads to north and south below bell-chamber; window to south west
stairs. Lower stages have traces of roof-lines of former nave and transepts,
and are much rebuilt in rubble stone. West side has blocked C12 arch to former
nave, with moulded imposts, and fragmentary respond of non-aligned C15 nave
arcade to centre. This has chamfered pier with attached semi-octagonal shaft
and capital. Also in west wall are a C12 window with a semicircular chevron
arch on shafts, and a C19 window with Y tracery. North side of tower has
irregular arched single lights, and a small C12 doorway with semicircular
chevron arch on shafts and later inner order with moulded roundels. To south of
tower is gabled porch with narrow flanking gables and head of 3-light traceried
window over C19-C20 door. Present nave has 4-bay C15 clerestory with battle-
mented parapet and 2-light traceried windows, those to north with ogee tracery,
those to south with trefoil-headed lights. Aisles have large irregular
buttresses, moulded plinths, sill strings and dripmoulds. North aisle has
moulded parapet, and C13 lancet in west bay over blocked doorway with 2-centred
arch and roll-moulding. Lancet has ogee wooden transom. 3 other bays have
large C14 3-light windows with various tracery, that to east bay with flatter
arch, that to centre with renewed tracery. South aisle has battlemented parapet
and 3 bays of large early C14 windows with intersecting tracery. Another arched
2-light window to left. Second bay has blocked C15-c16 doorway with moulded
4-centred arch and hoodmould. C13 lancet windows in east ends of aisles. Main
east window is a group of 3 lancets with a cusped roundel above, all renewed
1900. All lancets have deeply chamfered surrounds. INTERIOR: South porch has
altered jambs of large archway to south, C19-C20 4-centred doorway to tower, and
2 blocked doorways in east wall, one Transitional with nailhead and roll-mould-
ings to arch and clustered shafts. Arch between tower and nave is triple-
chamfered. Nave arcades of 4 bays, are renewed late C18 and have double-
chamfered arches on variously-shaped quatrefoil piers. Aisles have small
chamfered doorways in angled west corners. North aisle retains C13 groin vault-
ing and west doorway with roll-moulding. South aisle and nave re-roofed late
C18. In south aisle, east wall and spandrels of nave arcades are narrow stone
friezes with SAXON CARVINGS of interlace ornament and grotesque beasts. 3
similar lengths of frieze in tower. East end of south aisle has central arched
panel carved with figure of the Virgin, flanked by triple arcaded panels with
smaller figures of saints. 2 more saints in arches and other figurative panels
in south wall. Larger panel with figure of archangel Gabriel in tower. All of
very good quality. FITTINGS: 3 carved shafts of C9-C10 stone crosses in north
aisle. Shirley family pew, dated 1627, part balustraded, with strapwork and
heraldic crests, corner obelisks, carved foliage, frieze and modillion cornice
with winged angel heads; late C18 box pews, pulpit and west gallery; late
C17-C18 turned baluster altar rails and chair in south chapel; C17 carved panels
in dado of south chapel; octagonal stone font with heraldic panels. East end of
north aisle has iron railings and 3 fine marble MONUMENTS to members of the
Shirley family: (1) tomb-chest to Francis Shirley and wife, 1571, with carved
figures holding shields to sides of chest; (2) tomb chest to John Shirley, late
C16; (3) large wall monument to George and Frances Shirley 1598 with carved
kneeling figures and skeleton below.


Listing NGR: SK4056023335

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.