Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 10 January 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 358457
OS Grid Reference: TQ4054666301
OS Grid Coordinates: 540546, 166301
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3784, 0.0181
HAYES STREET, HAYES
Church of St Mary
TQ 46 NW 5/51 10.1.55.
Knapped flint with stone dressings. Chancel, Nave with Aisles, Vestry and
west Tower. The lower part of the Tower and the west wall of the Nave with
a lancet window date from circa 1200. The mullions of the windows in the
South Aisle and the Vestry date from circa 1350. But the Church was largely
rebuilt in the C19, the North Aisle by Sir Gilbert Scott in 1856, the South
Aisle and Vestry by J Oldrid Soott in 1879 and the chancel by Sir Thomas
Jackson in 1905. South porch dated 1965. Nave has old ashlared crown post,
rafter roof. North and South Aisles have crew post, scissor and rafter
The interior contains a modern monument to the Earl of Chatham and William
Pitt the younger.
Listing NGR: TQ4054666301
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.