Description: Church of St John the Baptist
Date Listed: 28 May 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 358507
OS Grid Reference: TQ3889864854
OS Grid Coordinates: 538898, 164854
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3658, -0.0062
There is also a scheduled monument, Romano-British site, Wickham Court Farm, West Wickham, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
In the entry for:
LAYHAMS ROAD, WEST WICKHAM
Church of Saint John the Baptist
TQ 36 SE 13/25 28.5.54
the Grade shall be amended to read Grade II* (star) and the description shall be amended to read
Parish Church. Late C15, incorporating some earlier stonework. Baptistery 1825, north aisle
widened 1844 as part of restoration by John Whichcord; organ chamber 1889 by J D Sedding;
vestries added over and to north of chapel in 1961. Knapped flint with stone dressings; some stone
to lower walls of chapel, rendered chancel. Tiled roof Chancel, nave with west bapistery, south
tower with entrance porch beneath, north chapel and aisle, the latter doubled in width in 1844 to
which the vestries abut to east. The nave, north aisle and tower refaced in 1844, when top oftower
rebuilt with machicolations; the windows all C15 and mostly oftwo cinquefoil lights under straight
Interior. Arch to chapel C14, chancel arch and arcades may also predate the recorded C15
rebuilding; Two-bay chancel arcade, three-bay nave arcade much restored 1844-7. Chancel with
medieval tiles, reset; mosaic pavement 1896. Fine fittings by Sedding include the organ case (organ
1860s), pulpit, linenfold panelling, chancel pews with poppyheads and rood screen (this last said
to be C15 in origins and resited as parclose screen in 1991). Reredos 1930s. East window by
Herbert Bryans, 1901; his also the small south-east window. South window by C E Kempe.
Chapel with resited brasses, and three windows filled with early C16 stained glass figures reset in
modern quarries after 1945. North-west window of chapel with glass perhaps by Willement. Nave
with western gallery, perhaps of 1825 or a little later, on cast-iron columns; low, narrow bapistery
behind built as vestry in 1825 and adapted 1912. Late C15 font. Late C19 pews. West window
with figures by Herbert Bryans in mid-C20 quarries. Nine late C18 and early C19 hatchments in
chancel and nave. North aisle with two windows by C E Kempe, 1896, and one by Powell of
whitefiiars. by Bryans the two windows in the porch. Many memorials, including that of Samuel
Lennard, d.1618, tomb chest, and Margaret Hobbes, d.1608, wall monument of small figure with
LAYHAMS ROAD, WEST WICKHAM
Church of St John the Baptist
TQ 36 SE 13/25 28.5.54.
C15 restored in 1844 when the North Aisle was added. Knapped flint with
stone dressings. North chapel flint and stone rubble. Chancel rendered.
Tiled roof. Tower to the south of the Nave, of which the ground floor
serves as a porch. C15 chancel screen.
Listing NGR: TQ3889864854
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.