Description: Church of St Leonard
Date Listed: 24 March 1950
English Heritage Building ID: 365598
OS Grid Reference: TQ2659005250
OS Grid Coordinates: 526590, 105250
Latitude/Longitude: 50.8329, -0.2037
TQ20NE NEW CHURCH ROAD, Aldrington
579-1/3/151 (North side)
24/03/50 Church of St Leonard
Parish church. 1878 nave (now south aisle) and tower on site
of former medieval church, 1936 nave, chancel and spire.
Architect of C19 work Richard Herbert Carpenter, C20 work by
Dressed knapped flint, squared and coursed, stone dressings
and quoins, north wall of brick, clay tile roof, coped verges,
broached spire with wooden shingles.
Plan: 6-bay nave with south aisle, south-west tower, chancel,
north-east brick addition, south-east vestry and south porch
(no longer used), entrance now via west end of nave.
Low, setback buttresses to 2-stage tower, 2-light louvred
bell-openings, 3 lancet windows either side of timber-framed
south porch with ornate bargeboards. Date stone in plinth of
chancel inscribed "This stone was laid with full masonic ---
by the Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master of Freemasons
of Sussex, Major R.Lawrence Thornton CBE on the day of the 6
Interior: rendered. Chancel: arch braced scissor truss roof,
nave and south aisle with boarded and ceiled barrel vault
roofs. Arcade of chamfered piers, pointed arches chamfered in
2 orders. Stained glass: East window dated 1948. Chancel with
fine display of Minton floor tiles; sedilia and piscina.
Replica medieval font.
The C13 parish church was described as ruinous in 1638 and
between the mid C18 and early C19 the parish of Aldrington was
deserted. If anything of the medieval church remained in the
1870s, it did not survive the rebuilding. The North aisle
planned in 1936 was not built.
(Dale A: Brighton Churches: 1989-).
Listing NGR: TQ2659005250
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.