Description: The Old Market
Date Listed: 10 September 1971
English Heritage Building ID: 365645
OS Grid Reference: TQ2987504404
OS Grid Coordinates: 529875, 104404
Latitude/Longitude: 50.8246, -0.1574
TQ2904SE UPPER MARKET STREET
579-1/23/126 (South side)
The Old Market
(Formerly Listed as:
UPPER MARKET STREET
Market, subsequently enlarged as riding school, now vacant.
1828, enlarged mid C19, extensive internal alterations
Render over brick, rusticated ground floor, part-rendered on
rear elevations, hipped slate roofs.
Plan: island site, rectangular market hall in centre of square
block, main elevation on north front.
North front: 3-storey centre with 2 and 3 storey wings,
1:1:2:1:3 bays, central 4 bays with 3 pairs of giant pilasters
with acanthus leaf capitals carrying entablature with ball
finials to outer pair of pilasters and central panel with
volutes, inscribed Old Market Arts Centre, to right modillion
cornice to 2 bays, end bay only 2 storeys high, square-headed
windows with 6-pane sashes, end bay left of 2 storeys with
segmental-headed windows, ground floor rusticated with
entrances, boarded up, in fourth and fifth bays.
Left return (east), central 3-bay range facing the Waterloo
Street Arch (qv): single storey with moulded cornice and
parapet, flat string linking round-headed arcades, glazed
heads, wide pilaster doorcases of uncertain date, boarded up
openings but with evidence of double panelled dados, thought
to be shop counters or shop windows.
3-storey, 3 x 5 bay block in south-west corner with quoins and
shaped aprons to first floor windows, ground floor altered
No internal features of interest survive apart from the
original roof king post trusses.
Built as Brunswick Market, the building had become a riding
academy by 1840 and in 1875 was taken over by Mr Dupont's
Riding Academy. Subsequently it was used as a warehouse, part
of it being a bacon smokery. In the late 1970s attempts were
made to convert it into an arts centre; at time of Survey the
building was vacant.
(Middleton J: A History of Hove: 1979-).
Listing NGR: TQ2987504404
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.