Church of St Andrew Including Walls, Railings and Gates, Hove
Description: Church of St Andrew Including Walls, Railings and Gates
Date Listed: 24 March 1950
English Heritage Building ID: 365656
OS Grid Reference: TQ2992104282
OS Grid Coordinates: 529921, 104282
Latitude/Longitude: 50.8235, -0.1568
Location: Waterloo Street, Hove BN3 1AQ
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
TQ2904SE WATERLOO STREET
579-1/23/134 (East side)
24/03/50 Church of St Andrew including walls,
railings and gates
Church. 1827-8, enlarged with addition of chancel 1882, partly
refitted 1925. Architect Sir Charles Barry, enlarged by his
son Edward Middleton Barry, later embellishments by
W.H.Randoll Blacking. Italianate style. Ashlar-faced west end,
otherwise exposed brick, roof covering concealed behind
Plan: originally rectangular space with west gallery, enlarged
with domed crossing, transepts, apsidal chancel and domed
south-east chapel, north-east vestry, both top lit in
West front unlit, rusticated facade with Corinthian pilaster
quoins and paired pilasters carrying plain entablature with
moulded cornice flanking central round-headed opening, blind
niches in outer bays. The paired pilasters break forward
slightly carrying the plinth of the single stage bell turret
in the form of a rusticated tempietto, fluted Corinthian
pilasters carrying modillion moulded cornice, 2-light
round-headed bell openings, scalloped lead roof. Clock face
below, bell openings on 3 sides, ventilation grill below
plinth. To the left is a pilaster doorcase with entablature
giving access to the crypt.
Main entrance: recessed porch, doorway on left and right
returns, central 3-light opening with pierced metal grill.
Tessellated pavement. Handsome cast-iron double gates to
entrance; cast-iron railings set in dwarf wall with moulded
coping, returned from entrance along street frontage with
double gates to the crypt.
Interior: rendered. Coved ceiling, pilaster bands and cornice.
Crossing dome painted blue with columns. Similar structure
with Corinthian columns covering white marble font with Greek
Revival-style cover at west end of church below gallery; all
part of the 1925 refitting, as are the bronze altar rails.
Pulpit with sounding board donated 1918. Late C19 brass
lectern. Handsome wooden organ case in Wrenaissance style 1889
in north transept. Late C19 pews with glass screen backs to
the most westerly row. Stained glass including lunette in apse
and 2 windows in south transept; much of the glass was removed
during the 1920s to lighten the church. To this end all but 4
of the wall tablets were resited in the narthex; Lord Charles
Somerset died 1831 and Sir George Dallas, died 1833 (by
Ternouth) remain. The toplit narthex includes the stone stair
to the gallery as well as an interesting collection of white
marble monuments on the walls. The crypt below the church is
said to contain many coffins.
Built to serve the inhabitants of Brunswick Square (qv), the
church was patronised by members of the Royal family and
aristocracy in the early C19. The church is notable as the
first example of the use of the Italianate style in England.
(Dale A: Brighton Churches: 1989-; Middleton J: A History of
Hove: 1979-; National Monuments Record: Photograph).
Listing NGR: TQ2988804297
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.