Description: Parish Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 13 July 1964
English Heritage Building ID: 37265
OS Grid Reference: SP9904053647
OS Grid Coordinates: 499040, 253647
Latitude/Longitude: 52.1722, -0.5532
STEVINGTON CHURCH STREET
SP 9953 (North Side)
26/519 Parish Church of St Mary
Church. Saxon W. tower below belfry level. Top of tower is Perpendicular.
Nave and both aisles are C14, the S aisle being probably earlier than the N.
North and South chancel chapels also belong to the C14, although they have
since been unroofed and now stand in a ruinous condition. The clerestory was
added in the C15 with a fine nave roof bearing figures holding shields with
the emblems of the Passion, and also woolpacks with the initials of two
merchants. A high Perpendicular screen of one-light divisions is now situated
under the tower. The front benches have good C16 poppyheads. Brass of Thomas
Salle +1422 is 32" long. His head rests on a large helmet. Victorian
restoration work was carried out in 1871 under the guidance of Henry Clutton.
Listing NGR: SP9904053647
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.