Description: Copeland Court
Date Listed: 29 December 1950
English Heritage Building ID: 377411
OS Grid Reference: SW8211945880
OS Grid Coordinates: 182119, 45880
Latitude/Longitude: 50.2726, -5.0590
SW8245 KENWYN CHURCH ROAD
880-1/3/94 Copeland Court
(Formerly Listed as:
Copeland Court (Truro Cathedral
Formerly known as: Lis Escop KENWYN.
Rectory and chapel, now home of The Community of the Epiphany.
C18 on older site extended and remodelled in 1878 for Bishop
Benson; chapel added c1906 by Edmund Sedding for Bishop
Stubbs. Freestone ashlar, roughcast with freestone dressings
(front), otherwise roughly coursed local rubble with granite
and brick dressings; dry Delabole slate roofs with hipped ends
to front range with hipped roof dormers, otherwise gable ends,
coped gable to south-west wing; brick axial stacks and 2
gabled stone lateral stacks to rear.
Large irregular plan with remains of double-depth C18 house on
the left, otherwise C19 and early C20 extensions. 2 storeys
plus attics; overall 6-window-range front. Remodelled 3-window
front of C18 house on left of projecting gable end of 1906
chapel and 2-window front of late C19 extension on the right,
which, with left-hand return, have early C19 hornless 12-pane
sashes and late C19 wooden modillions to moulded eaves
Ground floor has 3 Palladian windows: to study bay (far left)
linked to 3-bay Tuscan colonnade of loggia; to right set back
in loggia and to right of chapel. On left within loggia is
principal round-arched and pedimented doorway with spoked
fanlight over pair of 3-panel doors; other doorway to far
right has overlight with glazing bars over panelled door.
Chapel coped gable end has semi-circular broken scrolled
pediment containing niche with small triangular pediment over,
supported on three-quarter columns on consoles flanking
3-light round-arched window. Ground floor has large bowed
3-light window with small-paned sashes. In angle left of
chapel is an octagonal stair turret surmounted by round-arched
cupola with bell-shaped copper roof.
4-window-range south front is original C18 ashlar with flat
arches over early C19 sashes to first floor, otherwise late
C19 horned sashes including Palladian window to flat-roofed
study extension on the right. At far left is projecting
Gothic-style gable end of late C19 wing with granite canted
oriel window to first floor, otherwise mullioned windows with
hoodmoulds and 4-centred-arched lights. Rear stair projection
has large 4-light granite mullioned window with double
transom. Rear of chapel has freestone lunette with mutules
INTERIOR: late C18 or early C19 open-well stair with moulded
plinths to stick balusters, possible C18 plaster ceiling
cornice above, otherwise late C19 carpentry, joinery and
plasterwork with moulded and carved cornices to principal
rooms. Stair hall to right of chapel has early C20 open-well
stair with triple rectangular balusters and moulded handrail.
1906 chapel has stone coffered barrel vault and exposed stone
walls. Fittings are from former convent, now Alverton Manor
Hotel (qv) and include alabaster reredos, stalls by Nicholas
Comper and a large carved crucifix originally from
History: In 1781 John Wesley, who was a friend of the vicar,
Richard Milles, stayed here. The house was named Copeland
Court in order to acknowledge a generous gift made by the
(Ana C E, Sister: A History of Copeland Court).
Listing NGR: SW8211945880
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.