Church of All Saints, Houghton Conquest
Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 23 January 1961
English Heritage Building ID: 38038
OS Grid Reference: TL0435741425
OS Grid Coordinates: 504357, 241425
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0614, -0.4792
Location: The Grove, Houghton Conquest, Central Bedfordshire MK45 3JY
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
TL 0441 THE GROVE
11/51 Church of All Saints
Parish Church. Earlier and late C14, C15 with some 1870 work, particularly to
chancel, by Sir G.G.Scott. Coursed ironstone rubble with ashlar dressings,
mostly of Totternhoe stone. Clay tile roofs. Chancel, N vestry, nave, N and
S aisles, S porch, W tower. Embattled parapets throughout. Chancel: late
C14, reworked 1870. Large C19 5-light E-window with 4-centred head. N and S
elevations each have 2 similar windows of 3-lights. Pointed-arched S doorway
under square head. S elevation has external canopied tomb to Thomas Awdley,
d.1531. N doorway gives onto N vestry, originally 2-storeyed, with flat-
headed windows to E. C14 chancel arch. Nave: earlier C14, heightened C15 by
addition of clerestory. 4-bay arcades to both sides. 4 clerestory windows
per side, each of 3-lights under 4-centred head. N aisle: C14, heightened
C15. Pointed-arched 3-light windows, mostly with C19 tracery, 3 to N
elevation, one each to W and E. Pointed-arched N doorway. S aisle: C14,
heightened C15. Similar fenestration to N aisle but no E window. Pointed-
arched S doorway. S porch: reworked C19. 3-light 4-centred arched windows
to W and E. Pointed archway. W tower: 1393. 3 stages, with angle
buttresses to W, those to SW clasping an octagonal stair turret. Bell-stage
has 2-light pointed-arched window to each side. W elevation ground stage has
pointed-arched doorway surmounted by 3-light pointed-arched window.
Interior: nave and aisles retain C15 moulded roofs, with remains of painting
to E end of nave and S aisle, and lead stars (originally gilded) to E end of
nave. Chancel has hammerbeam roof by Scott. Nave and aisle pewing retains
some C15 panelling. C15 chancel pewing has unusual poppyheads, with angels,
dragons, grotesques and dogs. Fragments of medieval glass reset in various
windows, those in chancel including black bulls' heads and dolphins, those in
aisles showing variety of heraldic shields. Late C14 octagonal font, one side
plain (originally set against pillar), others with carved crocketed canopies.
Nave and aisles retain some patches of C15 wall paintings, including St
Christopher above N aisle door, and above chancel arch Christ sitting in
judgement with emblems of crucifixion. Also later texts in black and white.
Chancel has tomb chest with brasses to John Conquest, his wife Isabel (d.1493)
and son Richard, and smaller brasses of 9 sons, 5 daughters and the evangelist
symbols. Smaller brass in chancel floor to Richard Conquest, d.1500, and his
wife Elizabeth. To N chancel wall is monument to Thomas Archer, Rector,
d.1629, in form of polychrome preaching figure in niche.
Listing NGR: TL0435741425
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.