Description: Nurses' Home
Date Listed: 18 February 1970
English Heritage Building ID: 383037
OS Grid Reference: SD4781861132
OS Grid Coordinates: 347818, 461132
Latitude/Longitude: 54.0435, -2.7984
SD4761SE ASHTON ROAD
1685-1/8/5 Nurses' Home
Nurses' home, originally a railway station and railway company
offices. 1840, altered C20. Designed by Edwin Gwyther of
Birmingham. Sandstone ashlar, with ashlar dressings and slate
hipped roof. Double-depth plan with rear extensions. 2 storeys
and 5 bays under an eaves cornice, with a pediment over the
slightly projecting central bay. Glazed central porch has
coupled Ionic columns supporting a plain entablature. All the
windows have moulded architraves and 12-pane sashes, those on
the ground floor have cornices carried on scrolled brackets.
INTERIOR: reputed to contain visible remains of entrances to
HISTORY: originally built as the Penny Street terminus of the
Lancaster and Preston Junction Railway. In 1846 the present
station (on a through line) near the Castle was opened by the
Lancaster and Carlisle Railway Company (Station Road, qv),
which took over the running of the line to Preston in 1849 and
closed the Penny Street station to passenger traffic.
(Nuttall K & Rawlings T: Railways Around Lancaster: Clapham,
Lancaster: 1980-: 7).
Listing NGR: SD4781861132
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.