Church of All Saints, Sutton
Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 31 October 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 38436
OS Grid Reference: TL2190647532
OS Grid Coordinates: 521906, 247532
Latitude/Longitude: 52.1127, -0.2212
Location: Church Road, Sutton, Central Bedfordshire SG19 2NB
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
There is also a scheduled monument, John O'Gaunt's Hill, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
13/62 Church of All Saints
Parish church. C13 origins, C14 and C15, with some C16 and C17 reworkings.
Coursed rubble, mainly cobblestones and ironstone. Ashlar dressings, and
ashlar repairs to tower. Chancel, nave, N and S aisles, S porch, W tower.
Chancel: C13 origins, remodelled C14. C14 3-light pointed-arched E window,
only central light trefoiled. N elevation has pointed-arched 2-light window.
E of this is wide pointed-arched recess containing small blocked doorway,
formerly leading to N vestry. S wall has 2 2-light segmental-headed windows,
C19 reworkings, flanking small C15 4-centred arched doorway and pointed head
of blocked doorway. Pointed chancel arch. Nave: C13 origins. 4-bay pointed-
arched arcades to both sides, N arcade C14, S arcade C13. C15 clerestory has
5 windows per side, E ones of 3 lights, others of 2 lights. N aisle: C14, E
bay forming N chapel. 3-light pointed-arched E window, reworked C15. N
elevation has 2 C16 4-centred arched 3-light windows, E one blocked. Pointed-
arched N doorway. C15 3-light pointed-arched W window. S aisle: C13 E
window, 2-light W window, one 3-light and one 2-light S window, all square-
headed with mullions and tracery replaced C19. Nave and aisles have C15
embattled parapets. S porch: C15. Pointed archway with traceried spandrels.
2-light square-headed window to each side. Plain parapet. Tower: C15
repaired C17. 4 stages, with diagonal buttresses and embattled parapet.
Ground stage has 2-light square-headed window to W. Bell-stage has pointed-
arched 2-light window to each side. Interior: chancel has 4-centred arched
plastered ceiling, dated 1764 above chancel arch. N aisle retains C15 roof
with moulded timbers and bosses, 2 of supporting stone corbels with decorative
carvings. Other roofs C19. Rood screen C15 with C19 cornice. Variety of
pewing, C16 and C17. Pulpit dated 1628, with sounding board of c.1730
imported 1841 from Everton Church (pers. comm. C Pickford, Beds Record
Office). C14 cylindrical font on quatrefoil stem to N aisle. C14 ornamental
piscina and sedilia to chancel. N chapel has monument to John Burgoyne, 1604,
a recumbant effigy, flanked by columns supporting pediment with heraldic
shields, with strapwork ornamentation. Marble wall monument to Sir John
Burgoyne, 1709, by E. Stanton, in form of reredos with 2 mourning cherubs.
Marble wall monument to Sir Roger Burgoyne, 1677, with urn and putti upon a
strigillated sarcophagus, below which is tablet flanked by drop garlands. S
aisle has wall monument to John Symcotte d.1649 and Elizabeth his wife,
d.1646. Working barrel organ to first floor of tower.
Listing NGR: TL2190647532
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.