Humberside University, Hull
Description: Humberside University
Date Listed: 12 November 1973
English Heritage Building ID: 387440
OS Grid Reference: TA0919828719
OS Grid Coordinates: 509198, 428719
Latitude/Longitude: 53.7434, -0.3457
Location: 52 Anlaby Road, Hull, City of Kingston-upon-Hull HU3 2RS
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
KINGSTON UPON HULL
680-1/21/35 ANLABY ROAD
12-NOV-73 (North side)
(Formerly listed as:
THE COLLEGE OF ART)
College of art, now part of university. Dated 1904. Designed 1901 by Lanchester, Steward & Rickards. Opened September 1905. Red brick with profuse ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Large coped side wall stack. Plinth, quoins, string courses, first-floor band.
Central block, 3 storeys, with a higher 3-storey rear block, flanked by 2-storey wings, all above a basement. Anlaby Road front has slightly recessed centre with pedimented gable containing a mosaic, designed by Alfred Garth Jones and executed by the Bromsgrove Guild. Semicircular 2-storey porch with first floor and main cornices and wrought-iron railing at the top. Tall glazing bar window on first floor flanked by caryatids carved by Henry Charles Frehr and with a railing. On either side, a plaque, and beyond, a 15-pane sash with apron. Above again, a central 12-pane sash. Below, stone steps with capped pedestals leading to doorway flanked by Doric columns and wrought-iron openwork lamps. Oval vestibule with pilastered doorcase and overlight. On either side, a 10-pane casement with moulded surround and cornice. Below them, basement entrances with railings. Flanking wings have first floor and main cornices. Blank first floor to Anlaby Road, and below, 2 margin glazed casements with moulded surrounds and cornices. Below them, single 15-pane lights to the basement.
Left return has 3 round glazing bar windows and below, a central double door with overlight flanked by three 10-pane windows, all with cornices.
Right return has a central recess topped with a gabled glazed dormer and flanked by 2-storey blocks. Right block has corner pilasters and a large tripartite glazing bar window on each floor, the upper one with a flat gable carried above the cornice.
Rear elevation has slightly recessed 3-storey central block with pedimented gable, first-floor band and second-floor cornice. At rear corner a square belvedere with coped lantern atop. Three 10-pane margin glazed windows separated by pilasters and under a common cornice. Above again, a large segment-headed glazing bar window flanked by corniced cartouches. On the ground floor, a glazed lean-to projection. Flanking wings have first-floor bands and segmental pediments. Segment-headed glazing bar window above and larger flat-headed glazing bar window below.
INTERIOR contains an oval 2-storey entrance hall with balcony and staircase. The staircase has a fine wrought iron balustrade with wooden handrail. Upper stair supported on round arches and on Doric columns. Hall floor decorated with terrazzo tiles. Studios and offices retain many original features including doors, fireplaces, coving and partitions.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: York and The East Riding: Harmondsworth: 1972-: 273).
Listing NGR: TA0919828719
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.