Hydes Anvil Brewery, Manchester
Description: Hydes Anvil Brewery
Date Listed: 6 June 1994
English Heritage Building ID: 388335
OS Grid Reference: SJ8319795858
OS Grid Coordinates: 383197, 395858
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4592, -2.2545
Location: 46 Moss Lane West, Manchester, Greater Manchester M15 5PH
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
SK89NW MOSS LANE WEST, Moss Side
698-1/4/857 Hydes Anvil Brewery
Brewery. 1861. For Greatorex Brothers. Red brick with stone
dressings and slate roof. Various ranges group around a large
courtyard. Mainly 2 storeys with 3 storey ranges to rear.
Central gateway with elaborate gatepiers and pedestrian gate
to left with moulded architrave and pediment. To left a
2-storey 4-window range with sash or sash-type windows set in
moulded frames or architraves and with segmental arched head.
Ground floor quoins, impost band and 1st floor sill band.
Modillion cornice. Behind this facing the courtyard further
2-storey ranges with various sashed casements and doorways and
2 gables with overhanging eaves and windows beneath
round-arched heads. A further range with roof louvre adjoins
rear range which has 3 groups of windows facing the courtyard.
Central gable with clock and ornamental finial. C20 loading
bays beneath. This range to rear facing has tall arches
running through 2 storeys with windows recessed behind them, a
cornice above and 3 groups of windows with moulded frames and
camberedheads. Sides similar with that to west having the base
of a truncatedstack and a roof louvre. To the right of the
courtyard in front of part of the rear range a 2-storey range
with a blind arcade of tall arches on all sides filled by
various windows. This range has a cornice and full-length roof
louvre. In front of this range are other lower 2-storey range
with 3 gables facing and small lantern louvres. Another small
range to right of the entrance gateway. Interior not
inspected. The brewery was built by the Greatorex Brothers as
Queen's Brewery in 1861 and has been occupied by Hyde's
Brewery itself established in the early 1860's, since 1899.
Listing NGR: SJ8319795858
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.