Church of St James', Reading
Description: Church of St James'
Date Listed: 22 March 1957
English Heritage Building ID: 38939
OS Grid Reference: SU7199273629
OS Grid Coordinates: 471992, 173629
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4571, -0.9652
Location: A329, Reading RG1 1SB
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
SU 7173 NE 1/2
SU 7273 7/2 22.3.57.
Roman Catholic 1837-40 by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin. Untypical Norman style. Much altered 1925 by W C Mangan (south aisle and apse ambulatory), and 1962 by Bingham Towner (north aisle). Flint with ashlar dressings. Roman tile roof. Coped gables with footstones. Belfry to west. Round headed clerestory with continuous impost string. 5 bays. Dividing and corner buttresses. West front has oculus at top, large round headed window with flanking blind arcade. Projecting porch with centre break and angled corners, round headed doorway with 2 orders, of chevron. 3 apses to east, centre with ambulatory. 3 bay south aisle with 6 bay double arcade inside. North-east pier has fragment of beaded C12 carving.
INTERIOR: wooden roof, vaulted apse. C12 interlacing on re-used stone from
Abbey is now the font. Pugin's first church design. The Norman style probably
dictated by proximity of Abbey remains.
Listing NGR: SU7199273629
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.