Description: Statue of George Palmer
Date Listed: 14 December 1978
English Heritage Building ID: 39118
OS Grid Reference: SU7384873085
OS Grid Coordinates: 473848, 173085
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4519, -0.9386
Statue of George Palmer
SU 7373 8/545
1891. Sculptor George Blackall Simmonds. Bronze. The founder of Huntley
and Palmer's biscuit empire carries his silk hat and his umbrella in his right
hand and grasps his lapel with his left. Tall pink granite plinth with moulded
base and cornice. Erected by public subscription. Stood in Broad Street.
Unveiled 4.xi.1891. Moved to present position (Palmer also gave this Park
to Reading) in 1930. A very unusual statue.
Listing NGR: SU7384873085
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.