Caversham Park (Bbc Records), Reading
Description: Caversham Park (Bbc Records)
Date Listed: 14 December 1978
English Heritage Building ID: 39126
OS Grid Reference: SU7240476265
OS Grid Coordinates: 472404, 176265
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4807, -0.9587
Location: Caversham Park Dr, Reading RG4 8TZ
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
(BBC Records )
SU 77 NW 15/551
Rebuilt, possibly by J T Crews, after the fire of 1850 for William Crawshay,
a Welsh iron master, who had bought the estate in 1838. Of the early C18 house
of the Earl of Cadogan nothing remains, and very little remains of the works
by Mr Acres and Capability Brown in the Park. 3 storeys and basement. Ashlar
with iron frame. Ground floor rusticated with Doric frieze over. Piano nobile
above. 7 bays, outer wider with tripartite windows, divided by engaged Composite
columns (end piers). Dentil cornice, balustraded parapet. Glazing bar sash
windows with raised surrounds and bracket cills, pedimented on piano nobile
(alternately triangular and segmental). Flanking set back Ionic colonnades
of 1840 by J T Crews. 9 bays each with balustrade over, returned to east,
orangery to west. Various extensions to east (including chapel) and west (former
school rooms etc) and also to north-west which has a classical Doric portico
to linked lodge dated 1890. To rear of main house is an Ionic Porte Cochere
(now a reception room). Interior retains considerable decoration of the post-1850 house. Large central hall with 2 balustraded galleries, Doric on ground floor, Ionic on 1st floor. The best room is behind Crews West colonnade - arcaded with columned screen to west and apse colonnade to east. Elaborate decoration in the principal drawing room with enriched doorpieces and so on. Chapel altered. A landmark for the railway.
Listing NGR: SU7240476265
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.