Description: High Lighthouse Including North Cottage and South Cottage
Date Listed: 13 December 1949
English Heritage Building ID: 391372
OS Grid Reference: TM5508894308
OS Grid Coordinates: 655088, 294308
Latitude/Longitude: 52.4870, 1.7558
TM5594SW YARMOUTH ROAD
914-1/6/88 (East side)
13/12/49 High Lighthouse including North
Cottage and South Cottage
Formerly known as: High Lighthouse HIGH STREET.
Lighthouse and keepers' house, now an automatic lighthouse and
2 houses: North Cottage and South Cottage. The first light on
the site was 1676, re-built 1853, with keepers' house to the
west essentially a single-storey version of the present
keepers' house. The whole re-built 1873. Stuccoed brick. Slate
2 storeys. A central 3-bay hipped block is flanked by gabled
ranges right and left receding east to enclose the circular
lighthouse tower itself. The main block and the side wings are
separated by thin recessed bays on the facade. The central
block has a small central pediment above a blind ground-floor
window and the coat-of-arms of Trinity House to the first
floor. Either side are one 8/8 sash to each floor in recessed
segmental panels. Modillion eaves cornice below hipped roof.
The narrow bays right and left have C20 doors below 4/4
sashes. The gable ends of the flanking wings are pierced by
one 6/6 sash each floor, set in recessed segmental panels.
Gabled roofs with modillion cornices. The central block has 2
tarred stacks on the rear roof slope and the side wings also
have 2 tarred side stacks above the return walls. These
returns are lit through one central 4/4 sash each floor.
The east gables of the side wings also have one 6/6 sash each
floor in recessed segmental panels.
The lighthouse tower is of 3 storeys: circular, with a gallery
at the lantern stage; glazed lantern surmounted by a
Listing NGR: TM5508894308
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.