Description: School House and Attached Laboratories at Leighton Park School
Date Listed: 14 December 1978
English Heritage Building ID: 39165
OS Grid Reference: SU7327471438
OS Grid Coordinates: 473274, 171438
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4372, -0.9472
School House and
at Leighton Park School
SU 77 SW 17/567
Formerly Pepper House 1830. Belonged to the Cobham family. Extended 1891
by Alfred Waterhouse for School.
School House: 2 storeys and basement. Painted brick on plinth. Flanking corner
piers. Stone architraves and bracket cills, Moulded string at 1st floor level.
Cornice and blocking course. 6 windows on 1st floor with panels below. 2 on
ground floor, left hand tripartite with bracket cornice, right hand an angled
bay with pilasters and cornice. Cross glazed sash windows. Central circa
1840s large Tuscan porch. Recessed doorway with flanking niches. Shaped border
in front for former fountain. South front 1:5:1 bays, outer bays break forward
with corner piers and tripartite windows. Central half glazed door. Terrace
in front with small ha-ha and retaining wall.
School laboratories extension: Facing west a slight gabled break and a 3 bay
deep break linked to further block to north by arch with passage. Tall 2 storey
and basement. Grey brick with red brick quoins, dressings and lacing bands.
Red brick plinth capping and stepped verge to gables. Segmental headed plate
glass sash windows. Slate roof. Small extension to east with tile-hung lavatory
Listing NGR: SU7327471438
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.