If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin, West Malling

Description: Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 25 August 1959
English Heritage Building ID: 392391

OS Grid Reference: TQ6789957538
OS Grid Coordinates: 567899, 157538
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2922, 0.4066

Location: St Leonard's Street, West Malling, Kent ME19 6NE

Locality: West Malling
Local Authority: Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council
County: Kent
Country: England
Postcode: ME19 6NE

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around West Malling, Kent at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

WEST MALLING

TQ6757 HIGH STREET
1156-0/2/68 Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin
25/08/59
(Formerly Listed as:
HIGH STREET
Church of St Mary)

GV II*

Parish church. Norman West tower, C13 chancel, vestry C14 and
C15 altered in C20 with nave and aisles of 1901-3 by
Micklethwaite mainly replacing an earlier classical design of
1778 by Guilt. Built of ragstone rubble, nave and aisles of
coursed rubble with Bath stone dressings and Portland stone
plinth. Tiled roof and shingled spire. West tower, nave with
north and south aisles, north porch, chancel and vestry. West
tower of 3 stages. Crenellated parapet and broached shingled
spire surmounted by gilded weathervane. Corner buttresses.
West face has louvred lancet window to bell storey. Ground
floor has arched doorcase with renewed hood moulding and C18
6-panelled arched door, 1 panel having metal grille. South
face has 1 lancet to lower floors and large gault brick
round-headed arch to bell stage. East face has 2 louvred
trefoiled windows to bell stage. Broached shingled spire. Nave
and aisles are of galleted ragstone blocks with Bath stone
dressings and Portland stone plinth. Clerestorey. Crenellated
parapet to aisles. North aisle has 2 triple Kentish traceried
windows, buttress and gabled porch with cross-shaped
saddlestone. South aisle has 3 similar windows. West wall of
south aisle has remains of 1778 aisle with Portland stone end
quoins. East wall of nave, north aisle, and south aisle
retains c1778 end wall with oculus with 4 keystones to Nave
dated 1780, Portland stone quoins and cambered blocked windows
with keystones to north and south aisles. Later cross-shaped
saddlestone to apex of gable. Chancel has restored triple
lancet east window and north front has 2 restored lancets and
C13 arched doorcase with dogtooth moulding. Vestry attached to
south is C14 and C15 in origin but much restored in C20. Built
of stone rubble with band of ironstone, ironstone door
surround and timber-framed gable.
Interior: Nave of 4 bays with half bay at west end with organ
gallery over. Balcony has in centre elaborately carved wooden
arms of James II. Organ gallery has 2 wooden and 2 stone
tablets with list of benefactions. Gallery stairs have unusual
fretted balustrading and squared newel posts with finial. Font
in C14 style and C18 style Wren style font. Aisle walls have
series of good C18 wall monuments. Floor slabs including one
basalt slab. 5 canted boarded roof with crenellations. Chancel
has C13 collar beam roof, C14 archway to vestry in south wall
and remains of C13 sedilia which was partially obscured by the
early C17 Brett Monument. This is a fine monument in alabaster
and plaster to Sir Robert Brett d 1620, his wife and son. This
comprizes a deep plinth and round-headed canopy over supported
on double Ionic columns with decorations of shields and putti.
Full-sized horizontal effigies of Sir Robert and Lady Brett in
attitudes of prayer with kneeling daughter to right and
skeleton in shroud to left. C17 wall tablet to Dame Jane
Fitzjames to north aisle. Early C16 brass to Elizabeth
Pierrepoint, but only the top half of the body survives and
brass to William Millys d 1497, 15 1/2in brass of a civilian.
Good C18 wall tablets.
(Buildings of England: Newman J: West Kent and the Weald:
575-576).


Listing NGR: TQ6789657537

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.