Billingham Manor, Shorwell
Description: Billingham Manor
Date Listed: 21 July 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 393182
OS Grid Reference: SZ4860281899
OS Grid Coordinates: 448602, 81899
Latitude/Longitude: 50.6348, -1.3141
Location: Berry Shute, Shorwell, Isle of Wight PO30 3HE
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
SZ48SE EMMETT HILL
1354-0/9/296 Billingham Manor
(Formerly Listed as:
Large house, never a manor house. West front dated 1631 partly
refenestrated in late C17 but house largely remodelled c.1729
when passed to Edward Worsley son of Sir Edward Worsley of
Gatcombe House. Built partly of stone rubble and partly
Flemish bond, red brick with some grey headers and stone
dressings. Tiled roof with brick chimney stacks. 2 storeys,
attics and basement with projecting end wings to east and one
projecting service wing to south west. West or entrance front
is of stone rubble. L-shaped. Irregular fenestrations. 2
dormers with casement windows. 1st floor has to extreme left
C18 12-pane sash with wide glazing bars then 5 light mullioned
and transomed casement, 12 pane sash with narrow glazing bars
then projecting service wing with cross windows. Ground floor
has one 2 light mullioned window and early C18 projecting
pedimented porch with triglyph frieze and rusticated pilasters
and 2 panelled door. This is flanked by 12 paned sashes.
Plinth. To the south is a 2 storeyed projection which was the
original C17 porch. The original gable with finial is still
visible. To the north of the porch is a stone dated 1631.
North front is entirely of c.1729. Red brick in Flemish bond.
4 early C18 12-pane sashes with thick glazing bars and rubbed
brick voussoirs. The 2 end 1st floor windows have brick
architraves with ears and feet. Basement has 2 mullioned
windows. East or garden front is early C18 comprizing centre
of 3 bays and end projecting wings with hipped roofs of 1 bay
each. Red brick in diaper bond with some grey headers. End
stone quoins and dressings to this front. Stone plinth.
12-pane sashes in stone architraves with keystones. 5 dormers
with casements, the centre one triple light. Central doorcase
with cornice, plain pilasters and 6 panelled door, the top 2
panels cut away and glazed. South front is of 3 storeys and
attics. Right hand side has upper floors of red brick in
diaper bond with end quoins and 5 mainly 12-pane sashes.
Ground floor is of stone rubble with C17 mullioned windows and
a stone doorcase with curved heads. Stone 2 storey service
wing to west with early C20 metal windows, becoming 1 storey
with 4 light window and plank door. The interior has a fine
early C18 staircase with 3 turned balusters to each step and
scrolled treat ends, some early C18 panelling to the hall,
some C17 panelling to the rear passage on the right hand side
and a secondary winder staircase. The dining room has an early
C18 rotating bookcase hidden by a sliding panel. The house was
owned at one time by J.B. Priestley.
(V.C.H.: 279; C W R Winter: The Manor Houses of the Isle of
Listing NGR: SZ4860281899
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.