If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Church of St Matthew, Marstow

Description: Church of St Matthew

Grade: II
Date Listed: 26 March 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 399703

OS Grid Reference: SO5590520099
OS Grid Coordinates: 355905, 220099
Latitude/Longitude: 51.8777, -2.6419

Location: Marstow, County of Herefordshire HR9 6HE

Locality: Marstow
County: Herefordshire
Country: England
Postcode: HR9 6HE

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Listing Text

MARSTOW CP BRELSTON GREEN
SO 52 SE
6/111 Church of St Matthew

GV II

Parish church. 1855 by T Nicholson (BoE). Coursed sandstone rubble with
limestone dressings and tiled roofs. Four-bay nave with western bell-cot,
two-bay chancel, vestry and south porch. Bell-cot is supported by a pair
of weathered buttresses and rises to steep gable with cross above west verge
of nave, two cinquefoil-headed openings each carry a bell, to north and south
are small trefoiled cross gables. Nave has west window with two trefoiled
ogeed lights and quatrefoil tracery under a polygonal 2-centred head. Integral
weathered angle buttresses extend north and south from west wall which also
has a chamfered plinth; north wall has four windows again with chamfered poly-
gonal 2-centred heads each traceried with two trefoil-headed lights; the outer
pair of windows have quatrefoil tracery, the inner trefoil, one buttress to
each side and centre. Vestry has single-light trefoiled window to north,
east doorway is moulded with 2-centred head. Chancel has north window of
two lights, each trefoil headed, with trefoil tracery. Two-centred head and
label running down into string which continues around east wall; east window
has 2-centred head, three trefoil headed lights and wheel tracery with radiating
trefoils, weathered angle buttress and verge with gable cross; south wall has
string rising to label over two single-light trefoiled windows with trefoil
tracery. South wall of nave is separated from chancel by buttress above which
is eastern gable cross. To east of porch are two windows each with two trefoil
headed lights; the west one with trefoil tracery, the east with quatrefoil. To
the west of the porch another window like the last. South porch has gable cross
angled weathered buttresses. Outer arch with part-octagonal shafts on high
bases has 2-centred head; south doorway is moulded with 2-centred head.
Interior has nave roof with scissor trusses and ashlar pieces rising from well
within walls on short beams; chancel has open wagon roof with crested wall-
plate. Chancel arch is 2-centred, moulded and chamfered rising from wall shafts
on corbels carved with acorns and oak leaves. Chancel has reredos in red-brown
marble depicting Last Supper in bas-relief for Edith Mary Hole, died 1886 on
which the main panel is gabled and trefoiled, to each side is a larger gabled
niche containing an angel. Piscina in south wall with circular drain; trefoil-
headed aumbry in north wall. East window has stained glass for Adeline Beatrice
Beever, died 1863 depicting Raising of Jairus's daughter. Chair perhaps early
Cl7 with turned front legs, bobbin stretcher, back posts with volute-finials,
back panel with curved top rail and curved lower rail both carrying pendants.
On south side, wall monument to William Coke, died 1893, curate of Marstow
and Pencoyd for 50 years, in marble with gold tesserae to margin. Harmonium,
late C19, probably American, in mahogany with turned cross cresting at each end
by Mason & Hamlin Organ Company has inscribed gold medals:

PARIS 1878, SWEDEN 1878, PHILA 1876, SANTIAGO (de Chile) 1875
VIENNA 1873, PARIS 1867.

Vestry has C17 communion table with turned legs, moulded rails and moulded
edges to top; heavy metal box inscribed:

MILNER'S/ FIRE-RESISTING/ BOX/ LIVERPOOL/ AND/ LONDON/ In Commemoration of/
the 60th year of the reign of/ Queen Victoria/ 1897.

Nave has pulpit in brown limestone, part-octagonal with three panels each
trefoil-headed and crested rising from corbel beneath; C17 chest with four
front panels each containing lozenge pattern, arcaded frieze to front and
sides, plain side panels and moulded top. East window on north side has
stained glass with St Mary and St Joseph for William Holt Beever, died 1896.
To west is marble memorial for the three men of the parish who died in 1914-
18 war; in next window to west is stained glass, probably early C20 for William
Shuttleworth Clarke with figures of Christ and St Martin. In the centre of
north side large wall monument in form of aedicule in C18 style with scrolled
surround for Robert Shuttleworth Clarke who died in action near Hooge 1915,
at the top is the monogram of the King's Shropshire Light Infantry and at
the bottom the motto AUCTO SPLENDORE RESURGO: east window of south side of
nave has stained glass window of Elizabeth and Zacharias for William Holt
Beever matching the one opposite. West window has stained glass in quatrefoil
tracery with inscription EN DIEU MA FOI. Font has octagonal step, octagonal
moulded stem with octagonal bowl chamfered on its underside. Five late C19 to
early C20 paraffin lamps attached to walls. The building replaced the earlier
parish church of St Martin which was situated about 3/4 mile to south-west and
demolished in 1855. (BoE, p 250; RCHM, Vol I, p 199).


Listing NGR: SO5590520099

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |