Description: Church of St Michael
Date Listed: 14 August 1984
English Heritage Building ID: 400247
OS Grid Reference: ST7721961924
OS Grid Coordinates: 377219, 161924
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3559, -2.3285
ST 76 SE MONKTON COMBE
7/123 CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
Anglican Parish Church. 1865 by C.E. Giles of Taunton, replacing a church of
1814; altered and enlarged 1886 by E.H.L. Barker. West tower, nave, chancel,
south aisle and chapel, north aisle and chapel; all in an Early English style.
West tower of 2 stages with a saddleback roof and weathervane; set back buttresses
and cylindrical stair tower with conical roof on north side; corbel table and
triple lancet lights to the bellchamber; 2-light plate tracery west window;
chamfered doorway under a gable to the north. North aisle: two 2-light plate
tracery windows; coarsely cut wheel window to north transept. Chancel: 3-light
east window of lancets with foiled circles above. South aisle and chapel: single
2- and 3-light trefoil headed windows, some under dripmoulds with carved stops.
Interior: 3 bay arcade of cylindrical columns and pointed arches. All fittings
of 1860's and later.
Listing NGR: ST7721961924
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.