If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.



Church of All Saints, Rampton

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: I
Date Listed: 1 February 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 409487

OS Grid Reference: SK7995078580
OS Grid Coordinates: 479950, 378580
Latitude/Longitude: 53.2982, -0.8019

Location: Torksey Street, Rampton, Nottinghamshire DN22 0HT

Locality: Rampton
Local Authority: Bassetlaw District Council
County: Nottinghamshire
Country: England
Postcode: DN22 0HT

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Rampton, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SK 77 NE RAMPTON TORKSEY STREET
(north side)

1/65 Church of
All Saints
1.2.67
G.V. I

Parish church. C10, early C13, c.1300, C14, C15, C16, C17,
restored 1894, nave roof restored 1902. Coursed rubble, dressed
coursed rubble and ashlar. Slate roofs. Coped east gable with
single ridge cross. Single rendered red brick stack to the north
east aisle. Buttressed and set on a plinth with moulded band
running over. Tower, nave, north and south aisles, south porch,
chancel. Early C13 tower of 2 stages with bands and course of
ballflower running under the C14 battlements. West moulded
pointed arched doorway with hood mould and label stops. Above is
an arched 3 light late C14 window with panel tracery, cusping,
moulded surround, hood mould and worn beast label stops, flanked
by single corbels. Above is an arched and cusped niche with a
moulded arched surround with finial. In the belfry are 4 arched
c.1300 openings each with 2 cusped lights and hood mould. There
is a single clock face to the south and 5 small rectangular
lights to the west with single similar lights to the north and
east. The west wall of the north aisle has a single arched 2
light window with Y tracery. The north wall has a chamfered
arched doorway with wooden door and hood mould, over is an oval
plaque dated 1699 with illegible inscription. To the left is a
single C16 window under a flat arch with 2 cusped lights,
original lead and hood mould. Further left is a single C16 3
light window under flat arch with cusping, original lead and hood
mould. This bay is of coursed rubble and is not on a plinth.
The east wall has a single arched 3 light re-cut window with
intersecting tracery. The chancel lacks the moulded plinth band
and is mainly of coursed rubble. The north wall has 2 blocked
windows with flat arches and hood moulds. Projecting is the
felted roof of a basement. The east chancel has a single arched 5
light window with C14 panel tracery and hood mould. This
replaces an earlier window. The south chancel has a central
chamfered arched doorway with wooden door, flanked by single C16
windows each with 3 lights, tracery, cusping, flat arch and hood
mould. The east wall of the south aisle has a single C16 3 light
arched window with original lead. Leaning against the south wall
are 3 rectangular, arched headstones. Early C18 with illegible
inscriptions, there is a further, larger, rectangular, arched
headstone to Elizabeth Holmes, 1728. The south wall has 2 C17 3
light windows under flat arches with original lead and with
moulded surrounds. There is a single similar window to the left
of the C14 porch which is diagonally buttressed and has a
moulded, pointed arched entrance supported on engaged colonnettes
with moulded capitals. The hood mould has 2 large worn beast
label stops and carved angel finial, over is a sundial. There is
a double iron gate. The east and west walls each have single
traceried openings with 2 cusped lights under flat arches. The
inner early C13 double chamfered pointed arched doorway with
imposts decorated with nailhead terminating in the left in a
stylised flower has a hood mould with 2 large C15 regal head
label stops. There is a C17 panelled door. The west wall of the
south aisle has a single 3 light arched window with C14 panel
tracery, original lead and moulded surround. Interior. 3 bay
late C13 north aisle arcade with single large square, part
chamfered, C10 pier rising to the roof. To the right is a single
octagonal column with moulded capital. To the east and west are
similar large piers all with corbels which support the double
chamfered arches. The 4 bay C15 south aisle arcade has octagonal
columns with moulded capitals supporting double chamfered arches,
to the east and west are moulded corbels. The inner chamfer of
the double chamfered tower arch is supported on castellated
corbels. There is a C20 screen under with blind traceried
panels. The inner chamfer of the double chamfered late C13
chancel arch is supported on corbels. There is a C20 screen
under. The south wall of the north aisle has a small piscina,
there is a further piscina in the south aisle wall. To the south
of the chancel arch is a squint. Beside the south doorway is an
aumbry. There is a C15 alms box and a C17 oak chest with iron
fittings. Some of the pews are C17 and in the north aisle is a
C16 communion table. In the chancel are several monuments. To
Gervase Anthony Eyre, 1811, by Crake, the crown being decorated
with the trappings of battle. To Anthony Hardolph Eyre and his
wife Francisca Alicia, 1836, by Crake in the shape of a casket
surmounted by a coloured shield. To Anthony Eyre and his wife
Judith Letitia by Crake, 1800, this is surmounted by a coloured
shield. A fine monument to Gervas Eyre and his wife Catherine by
WM Holland, 1703. The tablet is flanked by single pilasters with
acanthus decorated capitals which support a cornice surmounted by
central coloured shield, flanked by single urns. Flanking the
base of the inscription are single cherubs with a further single
cherub's head on the apron. There are further monuments to Sir
George Eyre, 1839; Carolus Eyre, 1796: Anne Marie Eyre, 1826:
Louisa Henrietta Eyre, 1816; Johannis and Charlottae Eyre, 1831:
Johannis Hardolpi Eyre and Antonius Gervasius Eyre, 1821. The
monument to Charles Willoughby Eyre and Anthony Gervase Eyre,
1834, is by Lockwood and is surmounted by a lily. In the south
aisle is a monument to Elizabeth Howlet, 1747. On the north nave
wall is a hatchment. In the south aisle is a board detailing "A
particular of ye augument of ye church in ye year 1735" dated
"Feb ye 7 1743". There is a further board dated 1703 outlining
the gift of Gervas Coale of Rampton. The nave has an C18 king
post roof.


Listing NGR: SK7995478579

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |