Description: St Cross Mill
Date Listed: 31 July 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 409778
OS Grid Reference: SZ4984389391
OS Grid Coordinates: 449843, 89391
Latitude/Longitude: 50.7020, -1.2956
ST CROSS LANE (WEST)
St Cross Mill
SZ 4989 SE
WATER MILL: Early C19. Red brick with a blue headers in English bond. Welsh
slate roof. One gable has been rebuilt in stretcher bond. Three storeys. The
ground floor has two cambered headed windows and a doorway with plain timber jambs
and lintels. First and second floor each have three light, 12 pane casements with
timber mullion. Returns of two windows with a cast iron small paned window in
the rebuilt gable. Single storey wing to left rather altered but appears to be
a portion of an earlier mill. Later extension of no special interest to rear.
Interior: timber construction with three chamfered cross beams at each level.
Iron breast shot wheel with all paddles gone. Great spun wheel, iron vertical
drive with wallower and double crown wheel both with wooden teeth but all milling
machinery gone. Top floor has corn bins and principal raftered roof with
staggered purlins, the main members chamfered. History: extent leases indicate
a major change of ownership in 1810 which may be the date of the main building
and in 1876-8 when it was sold by Winchester College and this may date the
remaining machinery. An almost complete original structure from the early C19
with some late C19 machinery. Basement has several courses of stone which may
date back to the monastic mill.
Listing NGR: SZ4984689402
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.