If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Peter
Date Listed: 1 February 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 409848
OS Grid Reference: SK7271984183
OS Grid Coordinates: 472719, 384183
Latitude/Longitude: 53.3495, -0.9090
Explore more of the area around Hayton, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.
SK 78 SW HAYTON CHURCH LANE
4/37 Church of
Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15. Restored C19. Ashlar,
snecked stone, coursed rubble, coursed squared rubble, brick,
slate and slab roofs. Chamfered plinths, crenellated parapets,
coped east gables with crosses. West tower, nave, chancel, south
aisle, south porch. West tower, early C14, has string course,
eaves band, a single gargoyle to north and south, parapet. A
pair of corner buttresses to west, 3 setoffs. That to south has
memorial brass, C19. To west, restored C14 double lancet with
cusped hexagonal head, splayed reveal and hood mould. Second
stage has 4 later C14 double lancet bell openings with moulded
reveals, ogee hood moulds and crocketed finials. Nave, C14, 3
bays, has string course and 3 buttresses to north, 3 setoffs. 3
C14 triple lancets with cusped heads, hood moulds and mask stops,
restored. Chancel, C14, 2 bays, has moulded eaves. To east, 2
pairs of corner buttresses, 2 setoffs. North side has 2 C14
style double lancets with cusped heads, restored. East end has
C14 Decorated triple lancet with chamfered reveal. South side
has off-centre priest's door, and to west, a C14 double lancet in
cove moulded reveal. To east, a C14 style double lancet with
cusped head. South aisle, 3 bays, has 3 buttresses, 3 setoffs.
East end has C15 triple lancet with 4 centred arched head,
restored. South side has 2 C14 double lancets in splayed reveals,
restored. West end has window similar to east end. South
porch, C14, has deep moulded plinth and string course, parapet
and 4 crocketed pinnacles. Moulded south doorway with moulded
imposts and hood mould. Above, crenellated gable. Interior has
stone benches and vaulted roof with chamfered ribs and half-
octagon imposts. Inner doorway, C12, restored, with chamfered
reveal, moulded hood with dogtooth and zigzag band of stylised
leaves. Foliate stops. C19 traceried panelled door. Tower arch,
C13, double chamfered and rebated, dying into wall. Nave south
arcade, late C12, 3 bays, has 2 round piers, that to east with
stiff leaf capital, that to west with moulded capital and water
holding base. Chamfered and rebated round arches with C19 stiff
leaf imposts. North side has stained glass windows 1886, 1884
and C19. C19 hammer beam roof with curved braces on mask and
foliate corbels, C14, and C19. Chancel arch, C19 in C13 style,
double chamfered and rebated, with foliate imposts. Chancel east
end has panelled oak reredos, 1928, with cresting and
inscription. East window has stained glass by Kempe, 1877.
South side has to east C13 piscina with pointed trefoil head.
C19 hammer beam roof with curved braces on foliate corbels.
South aisle has to east a chamfered square aumbry and a re-set
foliate corbel. East window has stained glass by Ward and
Hughes, 1891. South side has to east a C19 pointed arched
piscina and a window with stained glass c.1861. C19 lean-to roof
on foliate corbels. Fittings include re-tooled C14 font with
traceried panelled octagonal stem and octagonal bowl with foliate
panels. C19 octagonal traceried panelled ashlar pulpit with
brass and iron handrail, C19 carved timber eagle lectern. Deal
pews with doors and fleur de lys finials. Large carved clergy
desk with finials. Turned and pierced oak choir stalls.
Monuments incude 3 effigies, early C14, of man, woman and child.
Marble memorial tablets, 1775 and c.1856, large slate memorial,
1817, memorial tile, 1808, brass and slate memorial, 1893.
Brasses 1898 and 2 C20. Roll of Honour, 1919.
Listing NGR: SK7271984183
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.