British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Katharine, Teversal

Description: Church of St Katharine

Grade: I
Date Listed: 12 October 1988
English Heritage Building ID: 410965

OS Grid Reference: SK4833961902
OS Grid Coordinates: 448339, 361902
Latitude/Longitude: 53.1521, -1.2786

Location: Buttery Lane, Sutton in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire NG17 3JN

Locality: Teversal
Local Authority: Ashfield District Council
County: Nottinghamshire
Country: England
Postcode: NG17 3JN

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

(south side)
1/17 Church of
St. Katharine
G.V. I
Parish church. C12, C13. Refenestrated and refitted c.1684.
Coursed and squared rubble with lead and slate lean-to and gabled
roofs. Ashlar dressings, coved eaves, coped gables with kneelers
and crosses. West tower, nave with clerestorey, north and south
aisles, chancel, vestry, south porch incorporated in south aisle.
West tower, C13, raised late C17, 3 stages, has chamfered and
plain string courses, stepped crenellated parapet with small
pinnacles, and elaborate weathercock. First stage has to west,
round headed double lancet with coved reveal and cross in head.
Third stage has on each side, double round headed lancet in
pointed reveal with hood mould. To west, clock in square panel.
Nave clerestorey has to south 3 and to north 2 plain double
lancets with square headed reveals. North aisle, C13, 3 bays,
has off-centre blocked shouldered door, flanked to left by 2 and
to right by single cross mullioned leaded casements. South aisle
has to west, set back bay with cusped round headed double lancet
with hood mould. Over it, plaque with leaves and scroll. To its
right, chamfered doorway. Beyond to right, 2 triple lancets with
hood moulds. East end has to left C14 triple lancet with
intersecting tracery, hood mould and mask stops. To its right,
cross mullioned casement with hood mould. Above it, datestone
inscribed 'P.M. 1684'. Vestry, C19, has to east a lancet.
Chancel, 3 bays, has to north single blocked C13 lancet. East
end has plain triple lancet with square headed reveal, flanked by
single late C18 memorial tablets on brackets. South side has
off-centre shouldered doorway, flanked to left by round headed
lancet with square reveal. To right, late C17 traceried double
lancet. Above, to right, C18 sundial. South doorway, C12,
has moulded round headed surround with allegorical figures.
Battened door, C13. South arcade, early C13, 4 bays, has 2 round
and 2 square piers with filleted demi-shafts. Moulded bases and
capitals. Double chamfered and rebated round arches. North
arcade, mid C13, 4 bays, has round piers with moulded and water
holding bases. Moulded capitals with dogtooth and nailhead.
Octagonal responds. Double chamfered and rebated round arches
with hood moulds, finials and mask stops. West end has panelled
gallery, 1684, on shaped wooden posts. Oak winder stair to north
with turned vase and stem balusters. C17 low pitched moulded
rafter roof with canted span beams with bosses, arch braces, wall
shafts and king posts with cusped struts. North aisle has figure
on C13 bracket at east end. South aisle has to west, chamfered
arch to south doorway. C19 boarded roof. C14 chancel arch,
double chamfered and rebated, with hood mould, foliate and mask
stops. Octagonal responds with nailhead capitals. East end and
south side have stained glass memorial windows, 1877. C19 double
purlin roof with arch braces. Fittings, mainly c.1684, include
altar table and side table with turned legs, 2 C18 carved side
chairs, altar rail with bulbous balusters. Desks and bookstands,
1908. Fielded panel box pews. Octagonal panelled pulpit with
balustraded steps. Panelled Squire's pew with carved crests and
canted moulded canopy with Molyneux Arms, carried on 3 barley
sugar columns. Eggcup font with rolled rim on plain stem. C18
framed benefactions board and Royal Arms. 2 C19 Gothic
commandment boards. Memorials include Renaissance Revival wall
tablet, alabaster, to Sir Francis Molyneux, 1674, with Latin
inscription on apron and crested aedicule with broken ogee
pediment on Corinthian columns. Portrait bust. Painted marble
monument to Sir John and Lady Lucy Molyneux, 1691. Scrolled
apron with arms. Scrolled brackets carrying Ionic columns to
aedicule with crested scroll pediment, containing double round
headed niche with 2 portrait busts. Marble wall monument to Sir
Francis and Lady Diana Molyneux, 1741. Scroll bracketed shelf
carrying recessed pedestal with crest. Above, 2 portrait busts
on turned feet. Bracketed back panel with moulded scallop
crested segmental pediment. 7 hatchments, C17 and C18. Portrait
medallion to Sir Francis Molyneux, 1812, by J. Kendrick. 2
alabaster floor slabs, re-set, 1538 and 1563. 3 C19 and early
C20 marble and slate tablets. Pedimented tablet with high
relief portrait bust to Gwendolen Herbert, 1915. Classical
marble and slate war memorial tablet, c.1920. 2 brasses, 1876
and 1929.

Listing NGR: SK4834061903

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.