Parish Church of St Leonard, Old Warden
Description: Parish Church of St Leonard
Date Listed: 31 October 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 414286
OS Grid Reference: TL1367044321
OS Grid Coordinates: 513670, 244321
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0856, -0.3424
Location: Old Warden, Central Bedfordshire SG18 9HE
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
TL 1244 OLD WARDEN CHURCH END
10/138 Parish Church of
31.10.66 St Leonard
Parish church, originally forming part of the endowment of Warden Abbey. C12
origins, predominantly C13, with C14, C15 and C16 details, reworked mid and
late C19. Mainly of brown cobblestones with limestone dressings, some later
works in red brick and in coursed limestone. State roofs. Chancel, N vestry,
nave, S aisle, S porch, W tower. Chancel: C13, E half rebuilt later C19. C19
E and SE windows. NW window, SW priest's door and surmounting window are C14.
Late C13 chancel arch. Plain parapet to E end. N vestry and organ chamber
are late C19. Nave: N wall has C15 3-light window flanked by 2 C14 2-light
windows with C15 tracery. C14 blocked doorway. Early C14 3-bay pointed-arched
arcade to S. S aisle: C14. C15 3-light E window. C16 square-headed 3-light
window to SE and W. Embattled parapet. C19 S doorway. S porch: erected
1952, in memory of Richard Ormonde Shuttleworth (d.1940), by his mother.
Timber framed with red brick infill, and gabled tiled roof . W tower: 4
stages, with embattled parapet. Base of tower, including tower arch, is C12,
remainder rebuilt C15. Bell stage has 2-light pointed arched window without
tracery to each side. Small loophole windows to other stages. 2-light
pointed-arched window to W elevation of lower stage, inserted or reworked C19.
Interior: filled with C16, C17 and C18 carved woodwork, apparently mainly
Flemish and English, collected by Robert Henley 3rd Lord Ongley, and installed
1841. Gallery in S aisle with blank arched panels is probably Jacobean.
Pewing is constructed from variety of C16-C17 Belgian pieces, some with ogee
headed panels, some with acanthus scrolls, some in chancel with panels showing
letters AC and simple strapwork. Caryatids to panelling behind altar. The
collection is linked by much Victorian woodwork. Nave roof, rebuilt 1841, has
elaborate wavy-edged decoration to timbers. Pulpit, installed late C19 by
Colonel Shuttleworth, probably C18 Belgian, has high relief biblical scenes
and signs of the Evangelists. C14 font, formerly with 12 shafts. To SW of
nave is marble monument to Sir Samuel Ongley, d.1726, by P Scheemakers and L
Delvaux, with large standing figure in Roman costume flanked by putti. Tablet
with draped urn and coat of arms, to Robert Henley 2nd Lord Ongley, d.1814.
To SE of nave is monument to Caroline Jane Shuttleworth, d.1899. Alabaster
and white marble, by C H Mabey, with figure of Faith. NE window of nave has
restored C14 glass from Warden Abbey.
Listing NGR: TL1367044321
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.