Description: The Hall
Date Listed: 5 February 1982
English Heritage Building ID: 415504
OS Grid Reference: SK1356935231
OS Grid Coordinates: 413569, 335231
Latitude/Longitude: 52.9143, -1.7996
There is also a scheduled monument, Standing Cross in the Churchyard of St Peter's Church, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around Somersal Herbert, Derbyshire at Explore Britain.
SK 13 NW PARISH OF SOMERSAL HERBERT CHURCH LANE
1/29 (South Side)
5.2.82 The Hall (formerly listed as
GV Manor House)
Small country house. Early C16, 1564, partly encased in brick in 1712, restored
1899. Timber framing with lath and plaster infil, red brick, plain tile roof with
brick ridge and gable stacks. Two storeys with attics. Irregular plan. Irregular
north elevation. Right hand part early C16, close studded timber framing with a
middle rail to each floor. Ground floor has three 2-light and a 3-light ovolo
mullioned windows either side of a timber framed porch of 1899 with openings on
each side with turned balusters. First-floor has three wooden cross windows
either side of a 3-light window. Coved eaves with broad gable to right with
decorative double curved braces and a 2-light window. Large twin gabled dormer
to right with a 2-light window and box framing with decorative quatrefoil motifs
Left hand part has a broad gabled bay with box framing with diagonal bracing and
quatrefoil motifs in the gable. Two 3-light windows to ground floor and two
2-light windows above either side of a smaller 5-Light window. 2-light window in
the gable. Most of the windows are of 1899 in C17 and C18 style with square or
diamond leaded lights. Exposed framing continues to one bay of west elevation.
Early C18 brick casing to right hand bay of west elevation and whole of south
elevation. South elevation has four gabled bays. First and second floor bands
to left part. Left hand bay has two wooden cross windows to each floor under
gauged brick arches. 2-light windows in the gable. Second bay has to ground
floor a similar blocked window and a C19 doorway with round arch. First floor
has a similar blocked window and a cross window. 2-light window in the gable.
Third recessed bay with double doors and a 3-light mullioned and transomed window
both under wooden lintels, to ground floor. Two 2-light windows above. Right
hand bay has three wooden cross windows to ground floor, one similar window above
and a 3-light window in the gable. Additional bay to right with a 3-light stone
mullioned window to ground floor and a glazing bar sash above. Gabled bay with
exposed timber framing to east and a blocked 3-light C17 window. Late C19 wing
to north east not of listable quality. Interior has exposed timber framing, stud
partitions and beams. The beams are mostly unmoulded except for one finely
moulded beam in the kitchen. Entrance hall with re-used Jacobean panelling partly
C19. Chamfered beams. Drawing room has a late C16 style stone chimney piece.
Wooden plaque said to have come from over the front door, inscribed ANNO DN1/1564
IHON/FYTS HER/BERT HYS/WYFE IHS. Main staircase around a square well, with closed
string and turned balusters, possibly c1660 but in its present form mostly C19.
Back staircase of c1660 with robust splat balusters to the first floor landing.
Bedroom over the hall with early C18 raised and fielded panelling and double
cornice. Bedroom at north west corner has a small amount of late C17 panelling,
re-set and restored. Bedroom at south west corner has early C17 staggered
panelling and curved freize. To the east the junction of two buildings is clearly
visible internally by the placing of two walls side by side with a gap of about
two feet between. Bedroom to south east has an early C18 bolection moulded
wooden chimneypiece with overmantel and cornice. A further bedroom has a built-in
cupboard made up from curved late C16 fragments. In the roof a gable, formerly
external, has a 3-light mullioned window.
Listing NGR: SK1356935231
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.