British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Mary, Wainfleet St Mary

Description: Church of St Mary

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 3 February 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 420461

OS Grid Reference: TF4711158672
OS Grid Coordinates: 547111, 358672
Latitude/Longitude: 53.1050, 0.1961

Location: Church Lane, Wainfleet St Mary, Lincolnshire PE24 4JT

Locality: Wainfleet St Mary
Local Authority: East Lindsey District Council
County: Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: PE24 4JT

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

There is also a scheduled monument, Churchyard Cross, St Mary's Churchyard, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.

Explore more of the area around Wainfleet St Mary, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TF 45 NE
(north side)
6/94 Church of St. Mary

G.V. II*

Parish church. Late C12, early C13, early C15, C18, restored
1875-92. Limestone coursed rubble and ashlar dressings, some red
brick, some render. Lead roofs with stone coped gables with
kneelers and cross finials. West tower, nave with north and
south aisles, south porch, chancel with north organ chamber. 3
stage late C12 west tower raised in C15, with moulded plinth, 6
stage angle buttresses with broad south pilaster with slit
staircase light. Pointed west doorway of c.1200 with 2 chamfered
orders with moulded imposts running into flanking string courses,
and plank door. Single lancet above, and single lancets on north
and south sides with string courses running below. Blind arcade
above on west and north sides, each with 5 pointed arches with
slender shafts with moulded capitals. South side with
fragmentary arcade with 3 pointed ashlar heads and C18 brick
patching. C15 bell stage above with bell openings on all 4
sides, each with a pointed head, continuous chamfered surround, 2
pointed, cusped lights, and simple panel tracery. Moulded eaves
above and battlements with ornate pinnacles. North aisle
partially rebuilt in C19 with regularly placed 2 stage
buttresses. West end with C19 window with flattened, pointed
head, 3 pointed cusped lights, hood mould with decorative motifs
and head label stops. 4 bay north side with the second bay
rendered. The other 3 each containing a single C15 window,
restored in C19 to varying degrees, each with flattened pointed
head, 3 pointed cusped lights, hood mould and head label stops.
C15 clerestory with 3 pointed windows each with 2 cusped lights.
Parapet above. C19 organ chamber to east, gabled to the north
with single window with segmental head, 3 cusped, ogee headed
lights, panel tracery, hood mould and head label stops. East
coalhole doorway partially below ground level with segmental head
and board door. C19 chancel with moulded plinth, eaves and 2
stage angle buttresses. Large east window with flattened pointed
head, 4 ogee cusped lights, panel tracery, bowtell moulded
surround, hood mould and head label stops. South side with
decorative blocked doorway to east with segmental head and string
course rising above. 2 stage buttress to left with window beyond
with segmental head, 3 ogee headed cusped lights, panel tracery,
hood mould and head label stops. South aisle with plinth and
regularly placed 2 stage buttresses. East end with a restored
C15 window with flattened pointed head, 3 cusped ogee headed
lights, hood mould and head label stops. South side with 2
similar windows to the right, a gabled porch of 1874 to left,
with a similar window beyond and another in the west end of the
south aisle. Porch with pointed, double chamfered south doorway
with semi-circular responds, moulded capitals, hood mould, head
label stops and wood and wire doors. Date '1874' inscribed
above. Interior C15 doorway with broad pointed, cavetto moulded
head, each of the 10 voussoirs with a large bust, partially recut
in C19; roll moulded jambs, hood mould, head label stops and
bust at apex as niche pedestal. Pointed, double chamfered late
C12 tower arch with scalloped and moulded corbelled capitals.
Early C13 north and south arcades; the latter of 4 bays with
round piers, semi-circular responds and bands of chipstar on the
capitals; the former of 5 bays, the western-most bay being
larger and with a round pier hollowed to receive 4 detached
shafts with continuous moulded capitals; the remainder of the
piers and responds being similar to those of the south arcade,
and all the bays with pointed, double chamfered heads, hood
moulds and foliate and head label stops, restored in C19. North
and south nave doorways with C19 hood moulds and head label
stops. South aisle with piscina with cinquefoil head. C19
pointed chancel arch with continuous double chamfers and early
C20 screen. C19 north organ arch in chancel with flattened
triangular, double chamfered head. Single blind openings with
triangular heads in north and south walls, to east. C19 roofs,
pulpit, pews, lectern, altar, reredos and choir stalls. C18
hatchment above tower arch, the latter flanked by Commandment
boards. C15 octagonal font on C19 pedestal, bowl with cusped
panels containing shields with emblems of the Passion. C18
communion rail with twisted balusters. Black and white marble
monument with broken pediment, triglyph entablature, flanking
fluted pilasters, cross, palms and coat of arms; to Edward
Barkham, died 1724.

Listing NGR: TF4711158672

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.