Church of St John the Baptist, Newton
Description: Church of St John the Baptist
Date Listed: 12 November 1984
English Heritage Building ID: 420578
OS Grid Reference: SO3471932936
OS Grid Coordinates: 334719, 232936
Latitude/Longitude: 51.9910, -2.9521
Location: Old School, Newton, County of Herefordshire HR2 0QR
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
SO 33 SW NEWTON CP -
4/83 Church of St John the Baptist
Parish church. Consecrated 1844, founded by John Powell (local notable) but
presumably replacing earlier church. Coursed rubble, slate roof. Simple
unacademic Gothic style reflecting C18 patterns. Chance of one bay, 3-bay
nave, 2-stage crenellated west tower. Nave and slightly narrower chancel
under continuous roof. Three-light east window with depressed arch to centre
light; to nave windows have diamond pattern glazing. Pointed arch entry to
west. Interior: east window has stained glass of 1869. In nave, old fashioned
stove retained (by G Portway and Son, Halsted, Essex) with motto "Slow but Sure";
Royal Arms of George III; Commandment and Pater boards on west wall. For font
(C13) and pulpit (Jacobean) see RCHM. Also G J Tuck.
Listing NGR: SO3471932936
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.