Church of St Mary, Northbourne
Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 24 March 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 428124
OS Grid Reference: TR3125352508
OS Grid Coordinates: 631253, 152508
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2249, 1.3106
Location: Northbourne, Kent CT14 0NJ
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
Explore more of the area around Northbourne, Kent at Explore Britain.
TR 35 SW
4/10 Church of
Parish Church. 1853-4 by Salvin. Porch added 1868. Flint and plain
tiled roof. Nave, chancel, north tower and vestry and small south porch.
Round headed windows with details in imitation of St. Nicholas, Barfreston,
except triple, arcaded pointed lancets at east and with wheel window over.
Three stage tower, the lower stage with blank arched recesses, moulded
belfry openings and spirelet. North door with C12 zig-zag moulding and
Christ in a mandorla, quite crudely carved. South doorway with rich
tympanum and capital carving in imitation of Barfreston, and just as
detailed. Byzantine style porch in coloured marbles, with heavy capitals,
billet moulded arch and Canterbury cross in gable. Interior: the
architectural features are the stepping in of the chancel, with a beaded
and roll moulded arch to the tower, and the enriched window surrounds,
with attached shafts and some zig-zag moulding. Roof of 3 king posts
in nave, and trussed rafter roof in chancel. Chancel with string course
and enriched lower wall. Fittings: C13 trecusped piscina on north wall,
and possibly original sedile on south wall. Plain brass altar rail;
painted ceiling. Reredos: 1871, with recesses left and right of central
full relief of the Last Supper. This was possibly carved by the first
Lord Northbourne, who certainly carved parts of the pulpit, of 1854, stone,
with friezes depicting Christ preaching at several different venues, the
scenes carried onto the projecting lectern at one corner. Behind the
pulpit is a relief panel of St. Christopher (similar panels are found
in Betteshanger House). Chandelier in chancel, C18, with 8 branches,
and engraved: Ecclesia nullum tempus occupit. Elsewhere iron candelabra,
probably by Salvin. Royal Arms of William III on nave west wall.. Stained
glass in the nave by Kempe, dated 1891. Monuments: in the nave, Elizabeth
Boys, d.1640, erected 1649. Black and white wall tablet, with arched
surround and pediment shaped head. Laetitia Boys, d.1660, black wall
tablet with swagged base, and broken segmental pediment on cornice. John
James, d.1775. Small white wall tablet with bracketed and enriched side
pieces. White oval wall plaques to John Boys, d.1799 and William Boys,
d. 1781. Edward Boys, d.1827, white and black marble wall tablet with
a sarcophagus and acroteria with urn over, signed Mullane, New Road, London.
C17 style wall plaque early C20, gilded and painted with white and black
marble enriched with strapwork and ribband work, to Henry Lambton (n.d.).
In the chancel: Edward Boys, d.1649, black and white wall plaque with
scrolled apron and swagged and enriched scrolled side pieces supporting
a segmental pediment within a swan necked pediment, with coat of arms over
- John Boys, d.1678, white and black marble wall tablet, with segmental
pediment on Ionic columns with 3 cartouches over.Edward Boys, d.1691. White
oval wall tablet with cherub's head base and swan neck pediment and cartouche
over. There is also a fine black marble floor plaque to John Boys, d.1678,
before the altar. In the tower: a series of poor C19 tablets to Morrice
family, and free standing wall monument to Admiral Salmon Morrice, d.1740.
Signed P. Scheemakers. White marble base with relief of ships in full sail,
and side pieces carved with navigation aids and trophies. Black marble
sarcophagus with inscription, flanked by trophies and a cannon (passing
behind the chest) and crowned with a portrait bust of Morrice with a grey
marble obelisk background with cartouche over. (See B.O.E. Kent II 1983,
Listing NGR: TR3150652767
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.