If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Church of St Augustine, Northbourne

Description: Church of St Augustine

Grade: I
Date Listed: 11 October 1963
English Heritage Building ID: 428148

OS Grid Reference: TR3336452233
OS Grid Coordinates: 633364, 152233
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2216, 1.3406

Location: Church Road, Northbourne, Kent CT14 0NG

Locality: Northbourne
Local Authority: Dover District Council
County: Kent
Country: England
Postcode: CT14 0NG

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Northbourne, Kent at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

NORTHBOURNE THE STREET
TR 35 SW (north side)

4/34 Church of
11.10.63 St. Augustine

GV I

Parish church. C12, re-fenestrated C13 and early C14, with porches 1865.
Flint with plain tiled roof. Cruciform with central tower and north and
south porches. Squat central tower with bold quoins, string course and
parapet and low spire. Massive raking buttresses, with tiled weathering,
in re-entrant angles to transepts. West end with clasping buttress to
north, and offset angle buttresses on south; simple chamfered west door
with lancet over. South doorway with scallop capitals on nook shafts
with zig-zag moulding and billet-moulded hood. Lancet windows through-
out, except south transept, with bar tracery, much brick dressing and
repair to east end. East window composition of lancet, with round
headed lancet over and roundel with billet moulded surround over that.
Interior: simple, tall nave with 4 steps up to west door, with original
reveals of Romanesque lancets, the eastermost reveals of C13 pointed
lancets. C19 roof with king posts and secondary crown posts to purlins.
Blocked round headed recess to north east. Tower crossing arches with
scalloped nook shafts with square responds and imposts with bold roll
mould and zig-zag moulding. Chancel arch rebuilt pointed. Nave gable
with window opening above crossing arch. Transepts with large lancets,
that in south transept with inserted Y-tracery. Chancel with trefoil
headed reveals to north and south lancets. Large pointed arched recess
on east wall containing 2 tier lancets. The lower chancel wall is
considerably thickened. Fittings: triangular headed piscina with crude
shafts and drip. Chamfered elliptical sedile with 3 C19 seats. Aumbrey
in north wall. Reredos, and other embellishments by J. F. Bentley 1865,
of stone and alabaster, with tabernacle, quatrefoiled lozenges with
evangelical symbols, attached shafts and stiffleaf enrichment. North
and south wall with quatrefoil recesses also, recording the work done
1865 for the Hannam family. Polychrome tiles throughout the sanctuary.
C19 corona lucis in south transept and crossing. Choir stalls incorporate
C18 bead moulded panelling, more of which is in the south transept.
Arms of George II in nave dated 1751. Two hatchments in south transept,
and sculptural fragment, a C14 head of a king. Large areas of old floor
tiles survive, especially in the south transept and the crossing.
Monument: Sir Edwyn Sandys, erected prior to his death, 1628. Very
large free standing monument in black marble and alabaster. He and his
wife lie at different levels, hands clasped in prayer and in well executed
if stiff pose, on pilastered chest with coats of arms. Deep columned
recess with entablature, and curtains tied back, crowned with cartouche
shields and large pedimented and draped achievement. Inner walls of
recess with helm at head and gloves at feet, with 3 cherubs above. The
rear wall carved with inscription plaque of 1830 and 2 awkward angels,
probably of same date. Sir Edwyn, Elizabethan lawyer and courtier, built
the house and surviving gardens at Northbourne Court, and drew up the
constitution of the colony of Virginia, providing the model for the other
North American States. The church was a possession of St. Augustine's
Abbey, Canterbury, hence its dedication and scale. (See B.O.E. Kent II.
1983 406; see also Hasted, 1800, p.584 ).


Listing NGR: TR3344754059

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |