Church of St Mary the Virgin, Broxtowe
Description: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Date Listed: 14 April 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 429328
OS Grid Reference: SK5187034331
OS Grid Coordinates: 451870, 334331
Latitude/Longitude: 52.9039, -1.2303
Location: Church Lane, Beeston, Nottinghamshire NG9 6AS
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
There is also a scheduled monument, Fishponds 90m South East St Mary's Church, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
SK 53 SW BEESTON AND STAPLEFORD CHURCH LANE
(south west side)
3/7 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, C16, C18, C19, C20. Restored
1869. Re-roofed 1947-53, Vestries 1954. Repewed 1955. Dressed
stone and ashlar. Ashlar dressings. Copper and plain tile
roofs. Chamfered plinths and coped parapets. Crenellated
rainwater heads dated 1869. West tower, vestries, nave, chancel,
organ chamber, north and south aisles, south porch. West tower,
C15, single stage, has 4 pairs of corner buttresses with linking
top band. Crenellated parapet. Setback octagonal spire with
weathercock. North and south sides have a single slit light.
West side has cusped ogee headed triple lancet with panel
tracery. Above, on each side, a cusped, transomed double lancet
with mouchettes. Moulded reveals. Vestries, 1954, adjoining
tower on 3 sides. Single storey. Plinth, flat roofs, coped
parapet. North and south sides have each a recessed door flanked
to right by a canted bay window. Chancel, C15, 3 bays, has
chamfered plinth and eaves and coped parapet and to east 2 pairs
of corner buttresses and coped gable, restored C20. North side
has a single buttress. 2 cusped double lancets with panel
tracery, chamfered square reveals. East end has cusped triple
lancet with panel tracery and coved reveal. South side has 2
buttresses. Central Tudor arched priest's door and above, 3 C16
cusped double lancets with panel tracery. Lean-to organ chamber,
C19, has 2 buttresses and coped gables. To east, blocked square
headed window. North aisle, 3 bays, has chamfered string course
and eaves. 2 corner and single intermediate buttresses. North
side has to west, chamfered and moulded re-set round headed
doorway, blocked. Flanked by single C16 double lancets with
square heads. To east, early C15 cusped double lancet with
chamfered square headed reveal. East end has C15 triple lancet
with panel tracery and four centred arched reveal. Nave
clerestory, raised late C15, 4 bays, has coped gable with cross.
On each side 4 round headed triple lancets with coved reveals.
East gable has, above, late C15 triple lancet with hood mould.
South aisle, C15, 4 bays, has 2 corner and single intermediate
buttress. South side has 3 double lancets with cusped ogee heads,
rebated and moulded reveals. East end has a similar triple
lancet. South porch, rebuilt C18 in C15 style has partial
plinth, chamfered eaves and coped gable with cross. South gable,
restored 1981 has a pair of flanking buttresses, round headed
doorway and C20 replica lamp. Interior has panelled ceiling.
Inner doorway early C14, chamfered and rebated with hood mould
and mask stops. Re-set plank door with scrollwork hinges, C12.
Galilee west window has fragment of C19 stained glass. Tower
west door, C15, has double roll moulding and hood mould. Pair of
small flanking buttresses. West window has patterned stained
glass. Tall tower arch has chamfered head and faceted imposts.
Tower chamber has gallery, 1954, with latticed glazed screen
above. Nave arcades, early C13, have westernmost bays bisected
by tower. North arcade has round piers with moulded round bases
and various foliate and angel capitals. Keeled and cove-moulded
arches with nailhead hood moulds and mask stops. North side has
8 C13 mask corbels. South arcade has similar piers with square
bases and re-cut leaf and beast mask capitals, mid C14. Similar
arches to north side. East gable has stained glass window, 1908.
North aisle has stained glass north windows, 1945, 1922 and east
end war memorial stained glass window and brass, 1918. South
aisle east end has to left, four centred arched opening to rood
stair, and to right, small C13 piscina. 2 transverse moulded
internal buttresses. Westernmost stained glass window by 'P &
Q', 1960, with C15 fragments in head. Chancel has C15 chamfered
arch with faceted conical imposts. North side has organ in
fretted case. Sanctuary has C20 panelled dado and reredos.
Stained glass east window, 1892, by Ward and Hughes. Flanked by
single C14 angel corbels. South side has to east, restored C13
cusped piscina. Priest's door flanked by single re-set C14 blank
traceried bench ends with poppyheads. Fittings include plain C13
font with blind pointed arcading. Carved stalls incorporating
early C17 carvings by C. G. Hare, 1928. Oak angel lectern, 1935.
C19 oak pulpit. Memorials include painted alabaster tablet with
apron, pilasters, pediment and strapwork to Francis Jaques and
wife, 1606 and 1621. Painted wood memorial with columns and
pediment, dated 1623, to Powtrell family. Pedimented Renaissance
Revival style tablet with pilasters to John Mather and wife,
1625. Cll incised coffin lid. Classical style marble and slate
tablets 1818, 1832, 1838, 1860. 2 hatchments. 4 C19 brasses and
tablets. 5 C20 brasses and tablets. Charity board, mid C18.
Royal Arms, George III. Painted notice referring to bell
Listing NGR: SK5186834333
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.